Bay leaf (Laurus Nobilis) and cinnamon are two aromatic spices commonly used in cooking, but did you know that they can also be combined to make a delicious and healthy herbal tea that offers amazing beneficial effects?
This list of positive effects is too long for me to list here but some of the big ones are its free radicals, anti-inflammatory properties, and its ability to improve immune system.
I don't want you to consider this as medical advice by any means because I feel that the simple flavor of the tea is enough to get hooked!
Like my lemongrass tea, I make this tea, especially on cold days. Even my kids enjoy bay leaf tea recipes without any fuss.
Why I love this
- It's easy to prepare because bay leaf is an essential ingredient in any Indian kitchen.
- It has a soothing aroma and taste.
- It's a great way to get numerous health benefits.
- You don't have to mess with disposing tea bags.
Bay leaf is known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties. It contains vitamins A and C, magnesium, calcium, manganese, potassium, and iron. Some of the potential health benefits of bay leaf are:
- Helps improve digestion
- Aids in healthy weight loss
- Promotes heart health
- Decent source of vitamin C.
- May lower cholesterol levels
Cinnamon is another spice used for its medicinal properties since ancient times. It contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, and essential oils.
Some of the potential health benefits of cinnamon are:
- Helps control blood sugar levels
- Boosts brain function
- Reduces bad cholesterol
I got this fact from health websites and my parents. I wondered why my mom added bay leaf and cinnamon while boiling milk; this is a common practice in Indian households.
Now I know it's because of the health benefits. But none of these benefits go without mentioning that you will have to check if you have any specific allergies or potential side effects.
Take 2 cups of water in a saucepan, add 2 bay leaves and 1 cinnamon stick or one teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
Add a pinch of turmeric and ground black pepper.
Bring it to a boil over medium heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
Strain the tea into cups and enjoy!
You could also add ½ teaspoon jaggery or lemon for added flavor.
You can also try variations of this tea by adding ginger or cardamom for additional health benefits and flavor.
Bay leaf and cinnamon tea has been a staple in my household for years.
The first time I tasted it, I was taken aback by the unique and soothing flavor it offered.
The gentle heat of the cinnamon perfectly complemented the subtle, fragrant leaves, creating a warming sensation that instantly lifted my spirits.
I remember how it rapidly became my go-to beverage on chilly winter evenings, its aroma filling our home and its taste providing solace.
Moreover, I've noticed an improvement in digestion since I started drinking this tea regularly, and it's been an aid in maintaining optimal blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
It's remarkable how such a cup of bay leaf tea can offer so much in terms of health benefits.
Now, I cannot imagine my winter evenings without a steaming cup of bay leaf and cinnamon tea, and I eagerly recommend it to anyone looking for a healthy, flavorful, and soothing drink.
- With Honey and Lemon: Add a teaspoon of honey and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for a zesty twist to the bay leaf and cinnamon tea. The sweet and sour combination exceptionally offsets the warm spice and herbal notes of the tea.
- With Ginger and Cloves: For an extra health kick, add freshly sliced ginger and a couple of cloves to the boiling mixture. This version is particularly comforting during flu season as it helps to boost immunity.
- With Green Tea: Steep a bag of green tea along with the bay leaves and cinnamon for added antioxidants. This infusion gives a different depth of flavor and increases the health benefits.
Each of these variations not only adds a unique taste but also enhances the health properties of the original bay leaf and cinnamon tea recipe.
Feel free to experiment with these ideas or create your own combinations based on your personal preferences.
Apart from these, the type of bay leaf you use would also matter.
The more common Turkish bay leaf offers a greater depth of flavor and spicy taste than the California bay leaf.
This post is only for information purposes. It should not be considered for the treatment or cure of any disease.
My family and I consumed bay leaf and cinnamon tea for many months. And found it to be beneficial for boosting the overall health.
If you are a sensitive person, please check with your doctor.
Easy Bay Leaf And Cinnamon Tea Recipe
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
- Take 2 cups of water in a saucepan, add 2 bay leaves and 1 cinnamon stick or one teaspoon of cinnamon powder.2 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, 2 cups water
- Add a pinch of turmeric and ground black pepper.pinch turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Bring it to a boil over medium heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea into cups and enjoy!
- You could also add ½ teaspoon jaggery or lemon for added flavor.1 teaspoon lemon juice
- You can also try variations of this tea by adding ginger or cardamom for additional health benefits and flavor.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.