It's time for a little tropical treat today. The inspiration comes from one of my readers when she asked how I can veganize the all-time favorite, Indian drink called Mango Lassi. Lassi is a mildly sweet yogurt drink that is usually enjoyed after a light meal.
If you are not familiar with the name, Lassi is a popular yogurt-based drink in Indian cuisine. The most basic form of lassi is a blend of yogurt, water, salt, and some aromatic spices. You could add any fruits to that then its called by its names like mango lassi, or strawberry lassi, etc.
Lassi is prepared in plain yogurt flavor as well as several fruity flavors. For my vegan lassi, I chose to go with the King of Fruits, Mango. Mango is not just my favorite but also my entire family. I stock fresh mango in summer and also keep them frozen that I can use in winter.
I have posted several mango recipes in the past like Mango Rasayana,(ripe mango and coconut milk dessert) and Sauteed Ripe Mango.
Now you can add Vegan Mango Lassi to the mix. Try it today!
This mango lassi is my family favorite so I prepare this often during the mango season, and I have more recent pictures to share.
- Always use fresh yogurt. I used homemade vegan yogurt.
- Although fresh mangoes are preferred, canned pulp mangoes are fine too.
- Any kind of plant-based milk is acceptable. I used almond milk for this recipe.
- Use maple sugar, organic sugar or agave syrup as a sweetener.
- Enjoy them fresh although they store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- If you prefer a thinner consistency, you can add a little water or plant-based milk.
- Serve them chilled or add ice cubes for cold lassi.
Before I start with the directions and let you try this recipe, I do want to emphasize that you have to choose mangoes that are really ripe. You can tell easily if you squeeze them easily. If your mangoes are really sweet, you can also tone down on the maple syrup to suit your taste.
Check out my other recipes
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.
Vegan Mango Lassi
- Blend all the ingredients mentioned above and bring them to a smoothie-like consistency.
- Garnish with mint leaves or mango cubes.
Pin this recipe for later use