Until last year, Homemade Soy Yogurt was not an idea I remotely considered. But ever since the day I chose the Vegan lifestyle and started sharing my vegan recipes, Soy Yogurt has become a staple item in my kitchen. More so because there are several Indian recipes that are prepared with Yogurt or with buttermilk. But it is definitely an expensive endeavor if you purchase Soy Yogurt at the grocery store. Hence the need for the Homemade version!
In response to several requests from my readers, I am happy to share this recipe with you today. There is a little bit of science to it, but without going into much of those details, it is an easy procedure to follow and a very short ingredient list too.
Two methods For Soy Yogurt
There are two methods and I have shared both here. If you can buy store-bought soy yogurt as a starter, the first method is a lot easier.
The second method involves vegan probiotic cultures as a starter. In both methods, the key is to maintain a warm environment for the soy milk to ferment. In addition, it is important that you use organic soy milk with no additives such a guar gum. Additives do not let the probiotic cultures to do their job.
Either way, you can enjoy Homemade Soy Yogurt by itself, mixed with fruit or in a smoothie for an added protein boost. Or make it a dessert, layered with fruit preserves and your favorite cookies. Every serving is a powerful source of calcium and protein.
If you are looking for recipes that use soy yogurt, check out some of my recipes like Vegetable Dum Biriyani, or Spicy Potato Curry. It has been a year since I have been preparing my own soy yogurt, but never imagined there was a demand for it until I posted a picture on Instagram and on my facebook page last week!
If you enjoy vegan essentials such as this, get them directly in your inbox by subscribing to my newsletter. Just hit the subscribe button at the right. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe details.
Homemade Soy Yogurt Recipe
- 1 Quart Organic Soy Milk 946ml
- 2 tbsp soy yogurt Method #1 only
- Probiotic powder or vegan starter 1 -2 packets
- Pour 1 quarter of organic soy milk to the big class vessel. 1200W microwave for 3 minutes.
- Let it cool completely, then add store-bought or previous batch soy yogurt. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Place it in a conventional oven and leave the oven light turned on overnight or for 10-12 hours.
- Soy Yogurt is ready by break of dawn!
- Warm the milk in microwave just like method #1.
- Let it cools completely. Add the probiotic powder to the bowl.
- Place it inside a conventional oven and leave the oven light turned on overnight. You could also place it inside an instant pot with Yogurtsetting and leave it overnight for 10-12 hours. The important detail that you have to make sure is that it needs a warm environment to ferment.
- Refrigerate after the fermentation is complete.
Enjoy Homemade Soy Yogurt Recipe!