Until last year, Homemade Soy Yogurt was not an idea I considered. But ever since the day I chose the Vegan lifestyle and started sharing my vegan recipes, Soy Yogurt has become a staple item in my kitchen.
More so because there are several Indian recipes that are prepared with Yogurt or with buttermilk, but it is an expensive endeavor if you purchase Soy Yogurt at the grocery store.
Hence the need for the Homemade version!
In response to several requests from my readers, I am happy to share this recipe with you today.
There is a little bit of science to it, but without going into much of those details, it is an easy procedure to follow and has a very short ingredient list.
Two methods For Soy Yogurt
There are two methods, and I have shared both here. The first method is a lot easier if you can buy store-bought soy yogurt as a starter.
The second method involves vegan probiotic cultures as a starter.
In both methods, the key is maintaining a warm environment for the soy milk to ferment.
In addition, it is important that you use organic soy milk with no additives such as guar gum. Additives do not let the probiotic cultures do their job.
Either way, you can enjoy Homemade Soy Yogurt by itself, mixed with fruit or in a smoothie for an added protein boost.
Or make it a dessert, layered with fruit preserves and your favorite cookies. Every serving is a powerful source of calcium and protein.
Just subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox.
Did you love this recipe? Rate it five stars!
And let me know what you loved about it in the comments.
Homemade Soy Yogurt Recipe
- 1 Quart Organic Soy Milk - 946ml
- 2 tablespoon soy yogurt - Method #1 only
- Probiotic powder or vegan starter - 1 -2 packets
- Pour 1 quarter of organic soy milk to the big class vessel. 1200W microwave for 3 minutes.
- Let it cool completely, then add store-bought or previous batch soy yogurt. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Place it in a conventional oven and leave the oven light turned on overnight or for 10-12 hours.
- Soy Yogurt is ready by break of dawn!
- Warm the milk in microwave just like method #1.
- Let it cools completely. Add the probiotic powder to the bowl.
- Place it inside a conventional oven and leave the oven light turned on overnight. You could also place it inside an instant pot with Yogurtsetting and leave it overnight for 10-12 hours. The important detail that you have to make sure is that it needs a warm environment to ferment.
- Refrigerate after the fermentation is complete.
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.