Spinach Chapati is delightfully delicious, incredibly interesting and positively portable! It is nothing but a normal chapati dough which is kneaded with spinach puree. It is great for kids lunch boxes.
Over time, I have come to the conclusion that flatbread dishes are among the perfect meals. You can pair it with a side as simple as salted and peppered onions or with a rich and creamy gravy. The meal can be simultaneously delicious, interesting, and portable.
Besides being a perfect breakfast or a quick brunch, spinach chapati or palak roti are also ideal for carrying in a lunch box or for a picnic. It is a wholesome and nutritious alternative to store-bought flatbreads.
I have been working on a vegetable chapati recipe for a while. It took some time to get all the pieces of the puzzle right. I managed to stick with whole wheat flour and a decent serving of vegetables. Given how difficult it is to feed spinach to my kids, adding spinach was an easy decision. If done the right way, palak chapati is very nutritious and a great option for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The directions are very simple. Close-to-perfect as they are, you can always enhance it by adding ripe bananas to the dough, or any other steamed vegetables. there are so many options.
Check out my other recipes
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.
- 1 cup spinach leaves - washed
- 4 green chilies
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Blend the spinach leaves with green chilies and ½ cup water. You will get about 1 ½ cup of blended paste.
- Mix the wheat flour with salt, followed up by oil and mix thoroughly.
- Add spinach paste (you don't need water) in small quantities and knead the dough until there are no lumps.
- Roll the dough into flat circles with a rolling pin.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and grease it lightly as the skillet heats up.
- Place the flat dough (chapati) on the skillet.
- Flip it when you see bumps rising.
- Continue to flip until both sides are cooked to a golden brown texture.
- Spread a thin layer of oil and flip it a couple of times