How To Make Gobi Paratha
Today, I am sharing a recipe for a hot off the griddle Indian stuffed flatbread a.k.a Paratha. The recipe for parathas stuffed with potatoes is quite common. Here’s a simple variation of the time-tested yet delicious recipe with stuffed cauliflower (Gobi) for a hearty vegan meal.
Watch Gobi paratha video recipe here
Is Gobi paratha healthy?
Yes! gobi paratha is healthy. Gobi paratha is a filling and nutritious whole wheat stuffed Indian flatbread, filled with spicy ( mild) cauliflower mixture.
Besides being a perfect breakfast or a quick brunch, Gobi Parathas are also ideal for carrying in a lunch box or for a picnic. It is a wholesome and nutritious alternative to store-bought flatbreads. After I learned this recipe from a friend, it took only one attempt to get it right. But there were some subtle changes that I perfected over time to make it even more simple.
Few tips for Gobi paratha
Wash the Gobi before using it in any recipe with warm water.
Cauliflower florets tend to get soggy as soon as you add salt. So I squeezed and strained all of the excess water out of the florets before adding the spices. This way, the florets stay dry for more than 8 hours. You could also prepare the stuffing and use it the next day!
Finely grated Cauliflower florets blend very well with the texture of flatbread dough and also helps us get an even mix of flavor.
What can we serve with gobi paratha?
Is Gobi paratha vegan?
Originally it’s not a vegan breakfast, In India paratha is made using lots of butter or ghee. But with a few changes, we can make this as a vegan paratha.
Try this today and let me know how you like it. And rate the recipe below in the comment box.
If you want my recipes directly at your inbox, just hit the subscribe button at the right. If you are new to my site, you should check out my simple but useful e-book where I put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. You will get a copy when you subscribe to the recipes.
Here are the recipe details.
Gobi Paratha (Cauliflower Stuffed Flatbread)
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 Cups grated cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp mango powder (Amchur)
- Water(1 ¼ cups) add little by little
- 2 tbsp oil (including for greasing)
- Combine the wheat flour, oil and water in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough, but using just enough water to get a dough consistency. Check my video for visual aid. Cover the dough with moisture cloth.
- Clean the cauliflower with warm water and grate finely.
- Squeeze them tight with a clean cloth and remove all water content
- Divide the dough into 5- 6 equal portions.
Roll out a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle.
- Place one portion of the Gobi stuffing in the center and bring together all the sides to the center and seal.
Roll out again into a bigger circle (about 7 dia) with a rolling pin.
- Heat a non-stick griddle and cook the paratha on medium flame spreading a thin film of oil on both sides. Cook to a golden brown, crispy layer texture on both sides.
Cauliflower Stuffed Flatbread a.k.a Gobi paratha is ready. Serve hot with Indian pickle or fruit jam.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $36.00Was: $46.99