Sweet Potato Paratha is a delicious and healthy Indian flatbread recipe prepared with mashed sweet potato, wheat flour and spiced with Indian spices. This vegan and perfect for breakfast!
Where do you go to get the best Indian Paratha around? It's right in your Kitchen! Today I will try to show a step-by-step method for not just a potato paratha, but a little special one with Sweet Potatoes and spices.
I am sure you will like it just like my family members did. There is another little secret that makes it extra special. That's the little concoction that I call “Paratha Powder”.
I did not use this in my older post for Broccoli Paratha, but you can definitely try it for the older recipe as well.
How to make this paratha
Sweet Potato offers a good mix of starchy but nutritious alternatives for Potatoes. It has more sugar than regular potatoes but it makes up for all that with the vitamins and lower-calorie contribution.
Moreover, when you make Parathas with Sweet Potatoes, the sugar from Sweet Potatoes is balanced with the protein from Wheat flour. So you get a balanced meal at the end of the day.
Check out my video for step by step instructions. I tried to be as detailed as possible, but if there is any detail, that is not clear, you can always leave a comment.
Last but not least, the Paratha Powder that I have posted here, can be used for cutlets or any dough that you want to spice up.
This is one of the easy Indian sweet potato recipe can be prepared when you have right ingredients.
I will plan to post more recipes with this. Making a paratha powder ahead will save a lot of time and by keeping a stock of this.
If you have time comment below and rate the recipe in the comment box below. Follow me on social media's Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials.
Sweet Potato Paratha
- 3-4 Sweet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Red chili powder
- 2 Cups wheat flour/ Atta flour
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix the wheat flour with salt thoroughly and then prepare the dough by adding water and oil. Add the water in small quantities while kneading and making sure the dough doesn't have any lumps. Too much water will ruin the dough. Keep the dough aside.
- Prepare paratha Powder: In a hot pan, saute mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and fenugreek without oil.
- Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes and peel the skin and let it cool.
- In a processor mash the boiled sweet potatoes and mix paratha powder, salt, and red chili powder.
- Roll the dough into small circles and stuff the sweet potato mixture. Fold the edges of the circular dough to cover the stuffing.
- Roll the stuffed sweet potato to make a flat roti. It is hard to maintain a circular shape when you are rolling, but it is ok to end up with any shape. Kids enjoy funny shaped parathas.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Grease it lightly when the skillet is hot.
- Place the flat sweet potatoes dough (roti) on the hot skillet and flip it when you see raised bumps.
- Continue to flip until both sides are cooked.
- On the last flip add a little oil on the surface of the paratha and spread it evenly.
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Sweet Potato Paratha is ready! It is complemented very well by plain Soy yogurt, or coconut yogurt Spicy Tomato Sauce or Matar Tofu.
So intrigued by this idea! Never would have thought to make paratha with sweet potato but I'll definitely be giving this a try soon ?
Anjali @ Vegetarian Gastronomy
I've never had sweet potato paratha before! other veggies, yes, but never tried with sweet potato! what a great combo...must try it!
Ooh!! I love sweet potato parathas!! This reminds me I have to make some parathas soon! 🙂
Thanks Manju 🙂
Hello. Please revise the recipe to include volume / cup or weight measurements for the amount of sweet potato. They come in many different sizes. 3 or 4 is not helpful at all Sorry, I would like to try this recipe but will look elsewhere.
Thanks, Jane. I will update it soon.
You had me at sweet potato! I think I would love this, thanks for sharing your recipe!
This looks delicious Uma. I never tried paratha, but this recipe got me interested. I need to check out in my local spice store to see if they have fenugreek spice. Sounds flavorful and just yum!
Thank you Natalie. I am sure you will like this paratha 🙂
Wow!!! That looks great! We are looking for more ways to add sweet potatoes to our diet.. thanks for sharing this easy and amazing recipe 😀
Thank you Soniya 🙂
Ooh, this flatbread looks phenomenal! I'm sure the sweet potatoes add amazing flavor and texture!
Thanks 🙂 Yes it is.
I know my husband will totally love this and I especially love that it's gluten-free! Yum all over!