You are in for a treat today with Cilantro Peas Rice a.k.a "Matar Pulao" prepared with the Instant Pot. Cilantro Peas rice is a very simple and flavorful dish. A few flavorful spices in cilantro, coconut, and green chili base make a powerful combination that is bursting with flavor. The procedure is so simple that it took less than 30 minutes to prepare.
This dish is quite common in Indian cuisine, but a vegan version is a very rare find. Most recipes call for spices to be sauteed in "ghee" or clarified butter. But the real flavor for peas rice come from the spices that you add to the rice.
Try this recipe and you will know what I mean. But before you start, please note that the recipe calls for a little bit of prep work.
Instant Pot Cilantro Peas Rice
You would have to soak the rice for at least 10 minutes and the peas for at least two hours. Although it seems excessive, it is necessary to soften the rice and peas ahead of time. You could instead go with frozen peas, but they tend to get overcooked sometimes. Once you are through with the prep work, the rest of the procedure is a breeze with the Instant Pot.
Watch my video clip for easy reference. This can be prepared in a regular pressure cooker as well, by leaving it to cook to 1 whistle and let it cool gradually.
As for vegetables, I chose to go simple with just peas, but you can also add finely chopped carrots. A little bit of fried onion will also add to the taste. Try your version of Cilantro Peas Rice and let me know how you like it.
I shared this recipe a year ago and at that time, I blended the grated coconut with cilantro and other spices. Today's version is an easier and more flavorful one. I used coconut milk instead of grated coconut. I also used fresh mint leaves for more authentic flavor. Last but not least, I skipped adding garlic to make it better suited for lunch boxes. So, here's to a better version of a good recipe. My whole family enjoyed it with a side of vegan raita.
No onion and garlic rice
For this Matar pulao, I did not use any garlic and onion. But you can add if you prefer to. Garlic and Onion flavors usually dominate other spices and skipping these ingredients helped bring out the aroma from other spices. It makes the dish better suited for lunch boxes, and for the picnic table.
You can store this peas rice in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Check out my other Instant Pot recipes
Just subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox.
If you’ve tried this recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Instant Pot Matar Pulao
- ½ Cup soaked peas
- 2 Cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 small Cinnamon sticks - or use ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Green cardamom
- ½ Cup grated coconut - OR ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ Cup chopped cilantro
- 3 green chilies
- 1 garlic cloves (optional)
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves - (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cashews - (optional)
- Wash cilantro leaves (coriander leaves) and chop them finely. Blend them with coconuts, garlic, green chilies, mint leaves, black pepper, ginger and 1 cup water to a smooth consistency and place aside.
- Skip this Step if you are choosing Step 2. Blend the cilantro, mint leaves, green chilies, black pepper, ginger with ½ cup of coconut milk.
- Add, soaked and drained rice and peas and stir well. Add the cilantro coconut mixture and mix evenly.( I got 1 ½ cup)
- Add ¾ cup of water and salt. Stir well.
Close the lid of the instant pot. Turn the steam release handle to "sealing" position. Press pressure cooking setting and set the time for 4 minutes.When time is up open the lid using 10-minute natural release.
- Remove the bay leaf, and serve with your favorite side dish.
- The total liquid ratio must be 2 ¼ cups for 2 cups of rice. Add a little water to the cilantro coconut mixture to bring it to the right ratio. If you prefer a softer texture, add a little more water.
- In the end, you can add fried cashews for extra flavor.
- In the video, I showed how to make Matar pulao with grated coconut.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Enjoy Cilantro Peas Rice is ready! Serve hot with your favorite side dish!