Instant Pot Spicy Channa Quinoa
What’s better than white rice or brown rice? It’s Quinoa! I am here to share a recipe for a spicy concoction that will leave you feeling full with just a small serving. That’s the power of the protein-packed grain Quinoa! What’s even better is that the recipe has Chana dal a.k.a Garbanzo beans to add to the protein content.
If you have the ingredients ready, this dish can be prepared in less than 30 minutes flat. It’s just what you need for a weekday dinner when you barely have time to prepare anything. Using the Instant Pot is what makes it possible.
I am still a fan of this gadget and the number of recipes I can prepare with it is increasing every day! If you do not have all the ingredients I listed, you can use Garam Masala or Sambar powder, but you will be compromising on the authentic taste.
Using individual ingredients in the right proportion makes it aromatic and appetizing. You can try variations by adding more vegetables, but be sure to cut them into chunks that will cook evenly in the time that Quinoa takes to cook.
As you may have noticed, I have posted several Quinoa recipes in the past and there are more to come. If you liked my Vegetable Quinoa, you will like this too!
If you would like to try this recipe tonight, check out my short video. Questions or comments, feel free to leave a comment here or on my facebook page.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe details.
Spicy Channa Quinoa (Instant Pot)
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup Garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon
- 1 bay leaves
- 2- star anise
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 medium size onion (red or white)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Minced ginger and garlic ( use 1/4 inch ginger & 1 garlic cloves)
- Add oil to inner pot in saute setting and as the oil heats up, add cumin seeds.
- Follow up with minced ginger and garlic while stirring constantly for a minute.
- Now add onions and saute them for at least a minute.
- Add tomatoes and continue to stir for a minute.
- Add all the powdered spices and saute well for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rinsed quinoa and water in the right proportion as noted in the ingredients list. Stir well.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and turn the steam release handle to sealing position. Press pressure cooking setting and set the time for 2 minutes.
- When time is up open the lid using natural release.
- Add roasted cashews and mix well.
- Spicy Chana Quinoa is ready! Serve warm with a side of cold orange juice.
Save this recipe for later use
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $3.15Was: $4.09
Price: $4.50Was: $4.76