Sambar is a popular and authentic dish from South India. Instant Pot Sambar is prepared with one or two vegetables and onion as an add-on. I am sharing the recipe for Sambar with potatoes and onions.
A big thank you to my readers that have used the link to contact me about recipes that you would like me to share. I am doing my best this summer to keep up with the requests.
The recipe I am sharing today is an easy one. Instant Pot Potato Onion Sambar
I bring an easy version of Potato Onion Sambar that you can prepare with your Instant Pot. I also added a link to my recipe to prepare Sambar Powder that will come in handy on busy days.
I prepared this dish with my homemade sambar powder. You could do the same if you already have some ready. If not, you can always buy one from your local ethnic grocery. Potato Onion Sambar is usually paired with Dosa or Idli (Steamed rice cakes). But pairing it with steamed rice or roti is also equally good.
You will find that the procedure is made simple with the Instant Pot with no compromise in taste. As in most Indian recipes, the quantity and the quality of the spices that you add matters a lot.
Be sure to add all the spices I have listed here. Last but not least, try this recipe with red onions. White or the yellow kind is milder compared to the red version and hence will need more spices to support it. Just a little tip 🙂
Frequently asked Q&A
If you are not able to make homemade sambar powder you add coriander, cumin powder, and chili powder.
Please do check at your local Indian grocery store and check out other sambar powder as well.
Check out my other recipes
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.
Instant Pot Potato Onion Sambar
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 1 red chili
- 2 green chilies
- 7 curry leaves
- 2 cups red or white onions
- 1 Tomato
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp sambar Powder
- 4-5 red potatoes
- ½ cup rinsed split red lentils
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp tamarind concentrates or 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp jaggery or brown sugar
- Add oil to inner pot in your Instant Pot and press the saute option.
- When the oil is hot add mustard seeds and urad dal..
- As the mustard seeds start to sputter, add curry leaves and green chilies and stir well for a minute.
- Add onions and continue to saute for at least a minute.
- Now add tomatoes and let them soften up and then add potatoes.
- In about a minute, add turmeric and sambar powder and stir well for an even mixture.
- Add split red lentils, tamarind, jaggery, 2 ½ cup water, and salt.
- Close the lid of the instant pot. Turn the steam release handle to sealing position. Press on Pressure cooking( high pressure) setting and set the timer for 7 minutes.
- When time is up open the lid using quick release option or you could also let it cool down naturally.
- Garnish with cilantro and Potato Onion Sambar is ready!
- Pair it with steamed rice, Dosa or even rotis.
Save this recipe for later use