Easy, vegan, and gluten-free Instant Pot Mushroom Rice
Today, I am sharing another instant pot recipe that will wow your taste buds. It’s Mushroom Rice! I wanted to share a recipe that was quick and easy. So I adapted this recipe from my other recipes such as Vegetable Rice, with a new main ingredient…Mushrooms. It is a nice change from regular rice, and I loved that I added a lot of spices to the mix to make it truly authentic and sumptuous. My kids especially liked them and went for the second round too!
I paired it with Spicy Potato Curry and it served me well because all the mushrooms in the dish had rendered the rice a little too dry. A side dish such as Potato Curry helps in restoring the wetness as well as complementing the flavor from mushrooms!
The recipe combines typically fragrant basmati rice with sweet caramelized onions, garlic, and sauteed almonds. There are several supporting casts of spices that come together as well. Although the list of spices seems long, please do not skip any of them! It takes all of those spices to bring out the unique taste.
Check out my videos for more directions. If you enjoy gluten-free, vegan recipes such as this, get them directly in your inbox by subscribing to my newsletter. Just hit the subscribe button at the right. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe details.
Instant Pot Mushroom Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 tbsp green chilies
- ½ inch ginger minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 4 green cardamom
- 4 cloves (spice)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ Cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cashews
- ½ tsp shahi Jeera/ caraway seed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small mace
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 cups water
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Add oil to the inner pot in your Instant Pot and press saute. When oil heats up, add cashews and saute for a minute.
- Add Shahi jeera, ginger, garlic and green chilies. Continue to saute for a minute.
- Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, Garam Masala, chili powder, turmeric powder and coconut milk and stir continually for about 30 seconds.
- Add salt, soaked rice and water. Mix well.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and turn the steam release handle to sealing position. Press a pressure cooking setting and set the time for 4 minutes.
- When time is up open the lid using 10-minute natural release.
Instant Pot Mushroom Rice is ready! Serve hot with your favorite side dish!
Pin it for later. Thank you for stopping by!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $4.39Was: $4.90