If you have kids running around the house during spring break, rest assured that they will be hounding you constantly for a snack every hour and sometimes more frequently. For them, it is a holiday and every holiday is meant to be celebrated with food. It behooves you to plan ahead for this pressing demand and be ready to serve. Today’s recipe was a result of one such plan.
I am very excited to share my latest and favorite childhood cake recipe: The good old Vegan Honey Cake. It is a dessert whose name is enticing and inviting and its mere appearance mouth-watering. Coming up with a vegan version of this wonderful cake was not at all challenging. It was, in fact, a piece of cake (pun intended). The honey cake doesn’t need honey. Finding a replacement for eggs was more of a challenge, one I have tackled in several of my recipes such as mango bread.
Note: I updated this post with new pictures and a few tips to help you. I also use a homemade mixed fruit jam instead of the store-bought kind…
Vegan Honey cake Video
Tips and tricks for honey cake
For this recipe, I used flax meal as a replacement for eggs and Soy milk as a replacement for dairy milk. You could also use almond milk or coconut milk. I went a little creative and used maple syrup instead of sugar syrup.
That is all it took to switch to a vegan version of the Honey Cake. Achieving a nice and fluffy texture was not at all difficult. I was pleasantly surprised at how moist the cake turned out.
Vegan Honey Cake is a simple, yet very flavorful cake. The recipe is easy to follow and would make a wonderful picnic snack or satisfy a late night craving. The unmistakable flavor of maple syrup and mixed fruit jam gives this tender cake a lovely finish.
You could also garnish with sliced almonds if you prefer a nutty flavor. I chose to garnish with coconut flakes just like I remember from my childhood days. You are only limited by your creativity when it comes to garnishing this cake.
I hope my quick video will guide you through the steps. Check it out and try the recipe today. If you like it, please leave a comment here or on my Facebook page.
If you prefer getting my recipes directly in your inbox, just hit the subscribe button at the right.
Easy Vegan Honey Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 355 F.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the dry ingredients: Flour, Baking soda and Baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk the flax meal(see notes) with Milk, Rose Essence, sugar and oil.
- Now add the dry ingredients and make a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a fork or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely.
- To prepare maple syrup, boil 3 tbsp water with equal parts of maple syrup and place it aside.
- Now prick the cake all over the top with a toothpick and pour the diluted maple syrup.
- Layer the mixed fruit jam/jelly on top.
- And sprinkle desiccated coconut flakes.
Cut into desired shapes and serve chilled. Vegan Honey Cake is ready!
Pin This recipe for later use