Whole Wheat Flour Halwa Recipe
It’s back to basics today with an age-old recipe from India for Whole Wheat Flour Halwa. I have shared several â€œHalwaâ€ recipes in the past, and todayâ€™s recipe is associated with Indian festivals more than any other â€œHalwaâ€. You can try this for Navratri festival (or Diwali too).
It is often mixed with bright food colorings such as bright red or yellow. I am staying away from the food colorings today and sticking to the basics, with a few healthy alterations.
For one, I am using whole wheat flour and replacing sugar with Jaggery (Palm based). I am also replacing â€˜Gheeâ€ with healthier vegan alternates. It is amazing how many people are still surprised by the fact that â€œGheeâ€ can be replaced in almost all Indian dessert recipes. I hope this recipe will be an eye-opener that will change your opinion about using Ghee. It has the same â€œmelt in your mouthâ€ taste that we crave for.
The important part in getting it right is the quantity and in making sure that there are no lumps formed when you mix the ingredients together. When you get it right, it stays good for several days. Preparing this took less than 30 minutes from scratch and doesnâ€™t really need very many special ingredients. Whole Wheat Halwa can be paired up with a cup of hot coffee or Chai for a truly satisfying experience.
Last but not least, you can also mix in any dry fruits like almonds or raisins. Try it today and let me know how you like it!
If you are interested, I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials in the form of a short e-book. Â Just sign up for my newsletter if you have not done so already and you will get a copy. It is my honest effort to show my readers how easy it is to stay vegan and make a difference. By subscribing to my newsletter, you will also get my recipes sent to your inbox.
Whole Wheat Flour Halwa RecipeÂ
- 1 cup whole wheat flour atta
- 1 cup powdered jaggery
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Â½ cup water
- Â¼ tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp crushed almonds and Pistachio
- Heat the olive oil in a medium size pan
- Roast the whole wheat flour in the olive oil for about 4-5 minutes when you get a roasted texture.
- Meanwhile, dilute the jaggery in a 1 Â½ cups water in a separate pan.
- Keep this pan on a medium flame and let it simmer. As the water evaporates, the syrup thickens.
- As the flour turns golden yellow, add the hot jaggery syrup slowly and continue to stir to avoid any lumps.
- In a small pan, roast any nuts you would like to add along with cardamom powder and add it to the main pan.
- Continue to stir for about 3-4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Whole Wheat Flour Halwa is ready. Spread it on a separate casserole and let it cool.
Enjoy warm whole wheat flour halwa with hot cup of chai 🙂
Here is a step by step procedure:
Heat the olive oil in a medium size pan.Â Roast the whole wheat flour in the olive oil for about 4-5 minutes when you get a roasted texture.Â Meanwhile, dilute the jaggery in a 1 Â½ cups water in a separate pan.
Keep this pan on a medium flame and let it simmer. As the water evaporates, the syrup thickens.Â As the flour turns golden yellow, add the hot jaggery syrup slowly and continue to stir to avoid any lumps.Â In a small pan, roast any nuts you would like to add along with cardamom powder and add it to the main pan.Â Continue to stir for about 3-4 minutes and turn off the heat.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: Out of stock
Price: $6.86Was: $8.49