Mango Rava Kesari – Mango Semolina Pudding!
Can a small tweak to a familiar Indian dessert make it heavenly? Yes, it can! Semolina (a.k.a Rava) Kesari is one of the common dessert recipes in Indian cuisine. It is the kind of dessert that melts in your mouth leaving a sweet taste trail and makes you go for another spoonful. In North India, itâ€™s called Rava Halwa or Kesari. In the southern parts (Udupi) itâ€™s called Rava Sheera. Just like the geographical spread, there are several ways to prepare this.
The simplest form is made with semolina, saffron or food color, ghee, and sugar. I am making a tiny tweak to this by adding mango pulp along with changes for making it a vegan dish. Adding mango brings a wonderful tropical taste to it. We are in the middle of mango season now and this is the best time to try this recipe with the sweetest of mangoes. The main focus is making this in a vegan version, but mango adds a wonderful dimension to the taste.
One advantage of homemade Rava Kesari is that it reminds you how easy it is to prepare desserts that you would never imagine cooking in a vegan way. You’ll enjoy the same creamy texture as you find in the original recipe along with the mango flavor. The finer the rava you purchase, the better this recipe will be. I say that because there are several versions of Rava that is easy to end up with the wrong one.
I have prepared this dessert several times and it never fails to excite my kids! The bright color and wonderful aroma make it a wonderful option for entertaining guests when you are short on time. Hereâ€™s the step by step directions to Mango Rava Kesari. Try it today and let me know how you like it.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe detailsâ€¦.
Mango Rava Kesari - Mango Semolina Pudding
- Â¾ cup semolina fine rava
- Â¾ cup organic sugar
- Â½ cup mango pulp or purÃ©e
- 3-4 tbsp corn oil
- Pinch of saffron or 1/4 tsp orange food color optional
- 1 Â½ cup water
- 1-2 green cardamoms
- 2 tbsp cashews
- Place a nonstick vessel over a medium heat and sautÃ© the semolina with 1 tsp oil. SautÃ© them until they are golden brown. Place them aside on a plate.
- Roast the cashews in 2 tsp oil until they turn a golden color.
- In the same pan, bring 1 Â½ cups water to a boil and add saffron.
- Stir it continuously as you add the semolina to the boiling water.
- Continue to stir over medium heat and add the organic sugar.
- As you see the water being absorbed by the semolina, add a tablespoon of oil and continue to stir. Repeat 2-3 times.
- Now, add the mango pulp and continue stirring.
- Add a pinch of salt, and crushed cardamoms. Mix evenly.
- Turn off the heat and Mango Rava kesari is ready! With the right amount of oil and mango, Rava Kesari should melt in your mouth!
Watch my short video clip:
Save this recipe for later:
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $5.13Was: $5.60
Price: Check on Amazon