Chocolate Semolina Cake!
Today is unofficially the start of spring break for my kids and Iâ€™d like to share the recipe for the cake I made for them as a little celebration of Spring Break. It seemed appropriate given how much they like chocolate and how much they like cake. Moreover, it has been a while since I shared a cake recipe. The last cake recipe I shared (Mandarin Orange Cupcake) is almost four months old now.
When I decided to make a chocolate cake for this post, I wanted to try one without using all-purpose flour as much as possible. I did have a few unsuccessful trials but got it right eventually. As always the recipe is vegan…so no dairy and no eggs! I used Semolina and wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour and it turned out to be a good replacement. With no compromise in moistness or taste, Iâ€™m happy to say this recipe tastes super chocolate-y and has a great substitute for an expensive and (usually) unhealthy store-bought cake.
There are a couple of subtle details you do not want to skip, to get the best texture: I mixed apple cider vinegar with the non-dairy milk and let it settle for a minute for mixing in other ingredients. Also, you have to make sure that the semolina is not too thick. Semolina comes in several forms and generally, the thinner it is, the better.
Apart from that, the directions are very easy to follow. This Chocolate Cake pairs very well with a hot cup of coffee or with a big scoop of this IceÂ cream. If you enjoy delicious, vegan recipes such as this, get them directly in your inbox by subscribing to my newsletter. Just hit the subscribe button at the right. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Chocolate Semolina Cake
- 1 cup Semolina
- Â½ cup wheat flour
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Â½ tsp baking powder
- Â½ tsp baking soda
- Â½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp oil
- Pinch of salt
- Â½ cup water if required
- In a medium-size bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and place it aside.
- In another bowl, mix (non-dairy) milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it settle for a minute and then add oil and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients and dry ingredients and mix well. If required add a little water and bring it to a flowing consistency.
- Pour the batter into a round shaped cake pan(9*1.5) and bake in a 355F preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Chocolate Semolina Cake is ready! Serve the cake with dusted powdered sugar or with glazed dark chocolate or fresh fruits.
Chocolate Semolina Cake pairs very well with coffee or Ice Cream. Enjoy!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Out of stock
Price: $12.49Was: $16.41