Flavorful pumpkin rice with turmeric, an easy and delicious side dish or main meal, perfect for the fall or holiday season.
Meet the perfect recipe for Fall... Pumpkin Rice recipe dish you will remember forever. Whether it's getting your kids to say Can I have some more?" Or making a new seasonal favorite, you will want to make this Turmeric Pumpkin Rice recipe. It's a sure thing to getting what you are after.
I've tried this dish several times recently and have never been disappointed. Nothing brings the "Fall" mood more than pumpkins.
With high levels of Vitamin E and dietary fibers, it is a healthy option too. Pumpkin Rice is a simple dish when you have the right ingredients.
You do not need a large pumpkin to make 3 or 4 servings. So be sure to choose the right size. I chose to cook the pumpkin in a steam cooker, but you could also cook them in a conventional way in boiling water.
It is important that they are thoroughly cooked. It takes a little patience but it will reward you. If your first batch does not turn out well, keeps trying and you will begin to perfect it and make it your "Fall" favorite!
- 1 cup of boiled rice or cooked rice
- ½ cup chopped pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split black gram
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro/ coriander leaves
Step by step directions
Boiled the rice in the rice cooker or a steam cooker. Meanwhile steam cooks the pumpkin with half a cup of water. Peel the skin and blend in to smooth paste.
Place a pan over medium heat and drizzle 2 tablespoon oil. When the oil heats up, add mustard seeds, split black gram, cumin seeds, saute them for a minute. Add red chili and curry leaves. As they splutter, add ginger, green chilies and onion saute them for 30 seconds.
Add turmeric powder, pumpkin paste, and salt and continue to saute them for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Now add the cooked rice and mix well. Garnish with cilantro and serve plain or with raita.
Pumpkin rice is best served hot!
Check out my other rice recipes
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials.
Turmeric Pumpkin Rice
- Boiled the rice in rice cooker or a steam cooker.
- Meanwhile steam cook the pumpkin with half cup of water.
- Peel the skin and blend in to smooth paste.
- Place a pan over medium heat and drizzle 2 tablespoon oil.
- When oil heats up, add mustard seeds, split black gram, cumin seeds, saute them for a minute.
- Add red chili and curry leaves.
- As they sputter, add ginger, green chilies and saute them for 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, pumpkin paste and salt and continue to saute them for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Now add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve plain or with raita.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.