spicy Spinach Quinoa for quick week day lunch or dinner !
If you have never tried Quinoa in Indian cuisine, here’s a wonderful recipe that you will love Spicy Spinach Quinoa. It is one of my best fusion recipes that I have tried so far. Quinoa is not common in Asian or Indian cuisine, but the nutritional benefits are so much better compared white rice or brown rice. So I have always been looking for the best spice combination that brings the best from Quinoa and also has the traditional taste from Indian cuisine. Spicy Spinach Quinoa does just that!
The dry texture from cooked Quinoa is typically good for salads. So I started looking for ways to make it creamier. So I tried a blend of spinach,Â tomato and cashews to make it creamy. More than the choice of vegetables it is the spice combination from cinnamon, cloves, turmeric and ginger that gives it an irresistible aroma.
I used a teaspoon of chili powder and Â green chilies to suit my taste (7, on a scale of 1 to 10). You can try changing it a little to suit your preference. The dish hardly needs any prep time. So you can be done in 30 minutes or less 😉
Spicy Spinach Quinoa
- Cook the quinoa with 2 cups of water.
- Meanwhile, blanch the spinach and blend with tomatoes, ginger, cinnamon, chilies, cashews and about half cup water. Blend well and keep aside.
- Place a pan over medium heat. SautÃ© the cumin seeds in a teaspoon of coconut oil. After few seconds, add cloves and continue to sautÃ© for few seconds.
- Add onions and continue to sautÃ© until they are transparent.
- Add cauliflower florets, turmeric powder, chili powder, and crushed black pepper. Place a cover and let cook for 5-10 minutes.
- When the vegetables appear cooked, add in the spinach blend and stir well. Add salt to taste.
- When it starts to boil, add the cooked quinoa and stir well. Cover the lid for 5 minutes and let the quinoa blend with the gravy.
Now spicy spinach quinoa is ready to serve. Serve hot with a cold glass of plain or mango lassi! 🙂Â