Pastries do not have to be sweet and buttery. Today I am sharing a recipe for a warm puff pastry that is mildly spicy with a soft core and perfect for the winter and fall weather. Vegetable Puff is a snack with the crisp & flaky outer layer and mixed vegetables stuffing in the core. It is a quick and tasty way of the satisfying urge of something savory.
Like most of my recipes, you can try several variations in the vegetables that you choose to pack, to suit your liking. Preparing Veg Puff is an easy three-step process; prepare puff pastry sheet, prepare to stuff with cooked mixed vegetables and spices, and bake. With ready-made pastry sheets, it doesn't require much of prep time. It took about 15-20 minutes for preparing the vegetable stuffing and another 15-20 minutes for baking.
I used carrots, potatoes and green beans for my recipe. But there are other options like sweet potatoes, corn, and peas that you could also use. Regardless of what you choose, be sure to include onions. Onions give the perfect base for sauteing the vegetables. Try this recipe today and let me know how it turns out. You can leave a comment here or on my facebook page:-)
If you are a big fan of baked pastries, you might also want to try my recipe for the widely popular Crunchy Spring Rolls. To be the first to get notifications on new recipes, subscribe to my newsletter today. I have also put together a collection of vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials in the form of a short e-book. Just sign up for my newsletter if you have not done so already and you will get a copy. Here are the recipe detailsâ€¦.
How To Make Vegetable Puff Pastry
- 2 Pastry Rolls - Pepperidge Farm, Frozen puff pastry
- 1 Medium Size Onion
- 2 Cups Chopped Green Beans
- 2 Cups chopped potatoes
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Oil - Cooking oil
- ½ tsp ginger powder - Or1 tsp finely chopped ginger)
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder - Or1 tsp finely chopped garlic)
- Start by steaming the vegetables in a pressure cooker or pan.
- While that is going on, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan over medium flame. Add cumin seeds.When they turn golden brown, add chopped onions and saute until the onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic powder and saute for about a minute.
- Now, add the steamed vegetables and all the other spices listed in the ingredients.
- Stir well and saute for another 5 minutes.
Add cilantro and give it another stir. Switch off the heat and let it cool.
- Thaw, the pastry sheets to room temperature and set the oven to preheat at 425 F (220 C)
Cut the thawed pastries into rectangles or squares.
- Fill them with vegetables stuffing and press the corners with a fork.
Place them on a baking tray with parchment paper and lightly brush with oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
As the puffs turn brown, let them cool down (About 10-15 minutes).
Vegetable puff is ready to serve with chutney or tomato ketchup! Good luck!