How to make spicy / Khara Instant Pot Pongal recipe
In South India, Pongal is as common breakfast as cereal – although much more filling and nutritious if you count the servings of protein you get in a small plate of Pongal. There, it is nearly always served with a side of coconut chutney or a hot cup of sambar for a complete sumptuous meal. I am sharing a vegan version of Pongal recipe with an Instant Pot today.
As delicious as it can be, Pongal can be challenging sometimes if you do not get the right texture of rice. I used jasmine rice for this recipe, you can use any kind of short white grain rice.
Using a gadget like the instant pot( electric pressure cooker)makes it simple and fast.
There are two variations of Pongal. One is a spicy version with black peppers and moong dal. Other is a sweet version made with sugar or jaggery. As my recipe name suggests, I am sharing the recipe for the spicy version today.
This Spicy/ Khara Pongal is my family favorite so I prepare this often and I have more recent pictures to share.
This savory dish is made with rice and yellow moong lentils. And with the mixture of cumin, black pepper and cashew nuts with Black Pepper being the most important ingredient. You could use add them whole or crush them as I did. Regardless, it is one ingredient you should not miss.
The original non-vegan Spicy / Khara Pongal uses a lot of ghee and involves deep frying the ingredients in ghee. This vegan Khara Pongal not only makes it healthy but also makes it snappy.
There are more variations that can be adopted in this Pongal recipe. Like adding more vegetables or substituting rice with Rava. It is really up to you to customize it. But do not forget the chutney!
Try it for breakfast this weekend and let me know how you liked it!.
Try my other instant Pot recipes
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe details.
Instant Pot Spicy Pongal - Khara Pongal
- Add oil to the inner pot and press saute.
- As the oil heats up, add cashews and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Follow up with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add curry leaves, chilies, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add washed rice, yellow moong dal, salt, and water. Stir well and close the lid.
- Turn the steam release handle to sealing position and Press pressure cooking option and set the time for 7 minutes. (high pressure)
- When time is up open the lid using 10 min NR
- That's it. Spicy Pongal is ready to be devoured. Serve warm with a side of coconut or tamarind chutney.
Save this recipe for later use:
Enjoy Instant pot spicy Pongal or Khara Pongal with chutney! Happy Cooking.