After a 2 week hiatus, I am back with a new, simple and sumptuous recipe. With the summer in full swing, I have received several recipe requests for simple recipes that do not keep us anchored in the kitchen. So, I am sharing a very easy-to-prepare and delicious garlic rice recipe that is near and dear to me when I am faced with a time crunch.
I am a huge fan of sauteed garlic and this recipe has plenty of flavors along with sauteed garlic that makes it special. If you like sauteed garlic flavor, this will be sure to become your new favorite garlic recipe!
There are two simple ways to prepare this recipe. You could steam the rice with a steam cooker or use an Instant Pot. With the Instant Pot, you would saute the garlic first and then steam the rice in the same pot. This softens the garlic.
If you prefer a crunchy texture, you should steam the rice separately and then add it to the sauteed garlic. Either way, it is a quick fix recipe that best fits busy weekends or weekday dinners.
It is a good option for lunch boxes too...if your kids like garlic 😉 I have tried both options and like both of them. Try this today and let me know what your favorite is!
The list of ingredients is not too long and the procedure takes less than 15 minutes after the rice is cooked. If you have any questions, check out my short video or drop me a line using this link or on my facebook page.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Check out my other recipes
Here are the recipe details.
Watch short video
Indian Garlic Rice
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Gently clean the rice with water and drain all excess water.
- Cook the rice in a pressure cooker with 1 ½ cups of water for every cup of rice.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add oil. When the oil heats up, add mustard seeds and urad dal. Saute until it's starting to sizzle.
- Add dry red chilies and curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds or until they appear crispy.
- Add diced garlic cloves and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add salt and steamed rice to the spices. Stir well to get an even mixture.
- Turn the heat off and let it cool. Steamy Garlic Rice pairs well with a cold drink.
Save this recipe for later