I am sharing a very easy-to-prepare and delicious garlic rice recipe that is near and dear to me when I am faced with a time crunch.
After a 2 week hiatus, I am back with a new, simple, and sumptuous recipe. With the summer in full swing, I have received several recipe requests for simple recipes that do not keep us anchored in the kitchen.
I am a huge fan of sauteed garlic and this recipe has plenty of flavors along with sauteed garlic that makes it special. If you like sauteed garlic flavor, this will be sure to become your new favorite garlic recipe!
There are two simple ways to prepare this recipe. You could steam the rice with a steam cooker or use an Instant Pot. With the Instant Pot, you would saute the garlic first and then steam the rice in the same pot. This softens the garlic.
If you prefer a crunchy texture, you should steam the rice separately and then add it to the sauteed garlic. Either way, it is a quick fix recipe that best fits busy weekends or weekday dinners.
It is a good option for lunch boxes too...if your kids like garlic 😉 I have tried both options and like both of them. Try this today and let me know what your favorite is!
Check out my other recipes
Watch short video
Indian Garlic Rice
- 1 ¼ cup basmati rice
- 20-25 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 2 red chilies
- 1 strand curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.1 ¼ cup basmati rice
- Gently clean the rice with water and drain all excess water.
- Cook the rice in a pressure cooker with 1 ½ cups of water for every cup of rice.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add oil. When the oil heats up, add mustard seeds and urad dal. Saute until it's starting to sizzle.1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 2 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 tablespoon urad dal
- Add dry red chilies and curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds or until they appear crispy.2 red chilies, 1 strand curry leaves
- Add diced garlic cloves and fry until they turn golden brown.20-25 garlic cloves
- Add salt and steamed rice to the spices. Stir well to get an even mixture.Salt to taste
- Turn the heat off and let it cool. Steamy Garlic Rice pairs well with a cold drink.
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
- Alternatively, cook the basmati rice in an Instant Pot.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Save this recipe for later
Such simple garlic rice! We love it. Thaks
Loved this rice with black eye peas curry. Never would thought there were 20 cloves of garlic in it. Great heat at the end but not overpowering.
Thank you Doug!
Love this recipe because I love garlic and I also am always looking for ways to mix up my typical white rice. This is so good!!
Thank you so much, Tristin! Me and my family's favorite rice.