If you are bored with pantry recipes or the usual rice recipes, then you have got to try what I tried today for a pleasant surprise...Green Gram Rice. As the name suggests, it is a simple rice recipe but a novel approach with fresh ingredients. Moong rice is perfect as a weekday lunch option as you work from home. If you have an Instant Pot, this one-pot dish is going to be ready while you attend your zoom meeting. Just a few simple steps and settings and just go about your day!
There is no doubt about the nutrition that Green Moong Dal brings to the table. With more than 25g of protein per serving and very low carb content, it is one of the nutritious grains out there. With the right proportion of rice, Green moong Rice makes a balanced meal option.
The rest of the ingredients I have shown make up for the flavor/spice for the dish. With all the ingredients on hand, it takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
With all that information, I also have to add that the recipe does require a little bit of prep work. In order for Moong Dal to cook well in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, it has to soften first and that is done by soaking it in water overnight. This is one prerequisite for this dish that you simply cannot skip. Only when they are soaked overnight will they cook evenly with rice.
The total amount of soaking time should be 7- 8 hours. So, plan ahead to match with your work or weekend schedule.
Pressure cooker method for Green Moong Rice
This green moong dal rice recipe can be prepared in the pressure cooker or an Instant Pot. The cooking method is similar for the most part. If you are finding it difficult, post your comments and I will be glad to help. Here is a detailed recipe for green gram rice with step by step videos and pictures using a pressure cooker or an Instant Pot….
Place a pressure cooker on medium heat. Add oil, when oil heats up saute cumin seeds/ jeera in the pressure cooker until they splutter.
Now add ginger, onions, tomatoes and continue to saute. Add garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, and salt. Add the washed and drained rice and soaked green gram.
After sauteing the rice and green gram add 3 cups of water (according to the kind of rice). Close the cooker with lid and pressure cook it for 4 to 5 whistles. Enjoy the green moong dal rice with raita.
How to serve Green Moong Rice
Green Moong Rice can be categorized as a dry rice recipe. So the pairing will have to be a wet curry that is rich in gravy or something like raita and a side of papad. If you prepare a spicy version with extra chilies, raita would be a better side as it cools down the spice a little and balances the heat. Aside from such a dal fry or kurma would be better if your rice is not too spicy.
Check out my other green gram recipes...
Here are my few other Instant Pot Rice recipes...
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Green Moong Rice - Instant Pot Green Gram Rice
- 1 ¼ cup of rice
- ½ cup green gram/ green moong
- 1 Tomato or ¼ cup tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green chilies - optional
- 2 tsp Grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves/ cilantro for garnish
- 2 cups of water
- Start by soaking the green gram or moong dal overnight or for 8 hours.
- To get started with the rice, press the ‘saute’ option on your Instant Pot and saute cumin seeds, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf in 3 tsp of oil. Saute them until the cumin seeds start to sizzle.
- Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies, and chopped onions continue to saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the canned tomatoes, and spices (red chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala). Sir well.
- Add salt and soaked green gram, rinsed rice, and 2 cups of water. Stir well to get an even mix and press ‘cancel’ to stop sauteing.
- Now close the lid on the instant pot and press the ‘pressure cook’ setting. Set the timer for 4 mins high pressure.
- Once the timer goes off, do a natural pressure release.
- When the pressure pin goes down on the Instant Pot, remove the lid and garnish the rice with cilantro. Fluff rice a little with a fork to let it cool down.
- Instant Pot Moong Rice is ready! Serve it hot paired with a gravy-rich curry or raita.
- Use canned tomatoes or fresh ones as per your choice.
- Rinse the rice in clean water 3 times before using it in the recipe.
- Soaking green grams is a must. Soak them at least for 8 hours to get the best results.
Instant Pot Method - Green Gram Rice
Cooking soaked moong dal and rice in an instant pot is even easier. Start with soaking green gram or mung Dal overnight or for 8 hours.
Press saute on the Instant Pot and add 3 tsp of oil along with cumin seeds, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf. Saute them until cumin starts to sizzle.
Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies.
Add the chopped onions continue to saute until the onion turns translucent. Then canned tomatoes, and spices like red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala. Stir well.
Add salt and soaked green gram, rinsed rice, and 2 cups of water. And again stir well. Press ‘Cancel’ to stop sauteing.
Now close the instant pot lid and press the ‘pressure cook’ setting and set the timer for 4 mins high pressure.
Once the timer expires, do a natural pressure release.
Remove the lid and garnish with cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
Instant Pot mung rice is ready to be served hot!
Pin It for later use