If you are bored with pantry recipes or the usual rice recipes, then you have got to try what I tried today for a pleasant surprise...Green Gram Rice. As the name suggests, it is a simple rice recipe but a novel approach with fresh ingredients.
Moong rice is perfect as a weekday lunch option as you work from home. If you have an Instant Pot, this one-pot dish is going to be ready while you attend your zoom meeting. Just a few simple steps and settings and just go about your day!
There is no doubt about the nutrition that Green Moong Dal brings to the table. With more than 25g of protein per serving and very low carb content, it is one of the nutritious grains out there. With the right proportion of rice, Green moong Rice makes a balanced meal option.
The rest of the ingredients I have shown make up for the flavor/spice for the dish. With all the ingredients on hand, it takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
With all that information, I also have to add that the recipe does require a little bit of prep work. In order for Moong Dal to cook well in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, it has to soften first and that is done by soaking it in water overnight.
This is one prerequisite for this dish that you simply cannot skip. Only when they are soaked overnight will they cook evenly with rice. The total amount of soaking time should be 7- 8 hours. So, plan ahead to match your work or weekend schedule.
Stovetop pressure cooker method
This green moong dal rice recipe can be prepared in the pressure cooker or an Instant Pot.
The cooking method is similar for the most part. If you are finding it difficult, post your comments and I will be glad to help. Here is a detailed recipe for green gram rice using a stovetop pressure cooker.
- Place a pressure cooker on medium heat. Add oil, when oil heats up saute cumin seeds/ jeera in the pressure cooker until they splutter.
- Now add ginger, onions, tomatoes and continue to saute. Add garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, and salt. Add the washed and drained rice and soaked green gram.
- After sauteing the rice and green gram add 3 cups of water (according to the kind of rice). Close the cooker with a lid and pressure cook it for 4 to 5 whistles. Enjoy the green moong dal rice with raita.
Instant Pot Method
Cooking soaked moong dal and rice in an instant pot is even easier. Start with soaking green gram or mung Dal overnight or for 8 hours.
Press saute on the Instant Pot and add 3 teaspoon of oil along with cumin seeds, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf. Saute them until cumin starts to sizzle.
Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies.
Add the chopped onions continue to saute until the onion turns translucent. Then canned tomatoes, and spices like red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala. Stir well.
Add salt and soaked green gram, rinsed rice, and 2 cups of water. And again stir well. Press ‘Cancel’ to stop sauteing.
Now close the instant pot lid and press the ‘pressure cook’ setting and set the timer for 4 mins high pressure.
Once the timer expires, do a natural pressure release.
Remove the lid and garnish with cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
Instant Pot mung rice is ready to be served hot!
How to serve Green Moong Rice
Green Moong Rice can be categorized as a dry rice recipe. So the pairing will have to be a wet curry that is rich in gravy or something like raita and a side of papad. If you prepare a spicy version with extra chilies, raita would be a better side as it cools down the spice a little and balances the heat. Aside from such a dal fry or kurma would be better if your rice is not too spicy.
Check out my other green gram recipes...
Green moong dal, Green Gram Dosa, Misal Pav
Here are my few other Instant Pot Rice recipes...
Instant Pot Mushroom Rice, Instant Pot Mango Pudding, Vegetable Rice, Khara Pongal
Just subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox.
If you’ve tried this recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Green Moong Rice - Instant Pot
- 1 ¼ cup of rice
- ½ cup green gram/ green moong
- 1 Tomato or ¼ cup tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green chilies - optional
- 2 teaspoon Grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves/ cilantro for garnish
- 2 cups of water
- Start by soaking the green gram or moong dal overnight or for 8 hours.
- To get started with the rice, press the ‘saute’ option on your Instant Pot and saute cumin seeds, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf in 3 teaspoon of oil. Saute them until the cumin seeds start to sizzle.
- Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies, and chopped onions continue to saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the canned tomatoes, and spices (red chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala). Sir well.
- Add salt and soaked green gram, rinsed rice, and 2 cups of water. Stir well to get an even mix and press ‘cancel’ to stop sauteing.
- Now close the lid on the instant pot and press the ‘pressure cook’ setting. Set the timer for 4 mins high pressure.
- Once the timer goes off, do a natural pressure release.
- When the pressure pin goes down on the Instant Pot, remove the lid and garnish the rice with cilantro. Fluff rice a little with a fork to let it cool down.
- Instant Pot Moong Rice is ready! Serve it hot paired with a gravy-rich curry or raita.
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
- Use canned tomatoes or fresh ones as per your choice.
- Rinse the rice in clean water 3 times before using it in the recipe.
- Soaking green grams is a must. Soak them at least for 8 hours to get the best results.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Pin It for later use
Will the cooking time and water quantity change if I use brown rice in place of white rice. If yes, how long should I cook and how much water should I add?
Hi Shev, If you like to add 1 cup brown rice add 1 1/4 cup water, and pressure cook for 25 minutes. Good luck!
Thank you. Could you please let me now how much ginger. This recipe sounds delicious & healthy. Thanks
Sorry for the missing ingredient list. Updated it. We used 2 tsp grated ginger. Thank you, Jugnoo.
How much garlic
Hi. I used 2 garlic cloves
Delicious and perfect consistency. Best rice dish I've made in the Instant Pot!
Thank you so much Sarah! I appreciated your feedback:)
Very healthy and yummy recipe 👍 just follow it on the dot. It will come out great!! I cooked it and loved it ❤️
Thank you Surabhi for your feedback 🙂