Cracked wheat khichdi using pressure cooker !
Recipe for Cracked Wheat Khichdi – A colorful mix ofÂ vegetablesÂ takes center stage in today’s recipe that is timed just right for spring.Â This recipe is the perfect main course to showcase the medley of delicious vegetables the spring has to offer.Â Not just that, there is plentiful protein in one serving to make it a wholesomeÂ meal that you and your family can enjoy.Â Khichdi is a South Asian preparation made from rice and lentils.Â Â If you are familiar with IndianÂ recipes, KhichdiÂ should not be a strange recipe.Â Â
My variation from the usual Khichdi is that I used cracked wheat instead of rice. Wheat takes a little more time than rice to cook, so there are some adjustments to the cook time that you have to make if you are preparing this recipe with rice. Nevertheless, it is a dish that is guaranteed to please your family and any party.Â Â Â One other variation I have made from the original Khichdi recipe is that I have used my own Rasam/ Saaru Powder instead of the individual spices.Â You can also useÂ sambar powder.Â This makes the dish lot more easier to prepare withoutÂ compromising on the taste.Â Â Â
Cooking with a pressure cooker can be aÂ littleÂ tricky at times. The number ofÂ whistlesÂ you shouldÂ allow depends on how high the heat is. Not to mention you should beÂ careful not to open the lid when the pressureÂ is high. For this recipe, you will need to set the heat at medium and allow for three whistles, before taking it off the heat.Â Â
Try it with any of your favorite vegetable(s), but be sure not to overcook them, if you steam cook them along with the cracked wheat. A hot steaming plate of Khichdi goes very well with a side of Indian pickle and a cold cup of soy or almond milk, lightly sweetened.
Cracked Wheat KhichdiÂ
- 1 cup Cracked wheat or broken wheat
- Â½ cup Toor dal/ split pigeon pea
- Â½ cup chopped tomatoes
- Â½ cup frozen corn
- Â½ inch ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1 strand curry leaves
- Â½ tsp mustard seeds
- Â½ tsp cumin seeds
- Â½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Rasam powder or Sambar powder
- Â¼ tsp Asfoetida / Hing
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 Â½ cup water
- Cilantro for garnish
- Soak cracked Wheat and Toor dal in water. ( 10 minutes)
- Place pressure cooker in medium heat and add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. When oil heats up add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to sizzle, add curry leaves and give them a stir.
- Later add chopped chillies and ginger. Stir again.
- Add Asfoetida, turmeric powder, and rasam powder. Continue to stir.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften and then add frozen corn.
- Later add the soaked (and drained) Toor dal and cracked Wheat. Stir well and add salt.
- Add 2 Â½ cups water, and close the lid with the regulator weight.
- On medium heat, it takes about 20 -30 minutes to hear 3 whistles. At three whistles, switch off the heat and let the pressure simmer down.
- Open the lid when the pressure is completely normal.
Cracked Wheat Khichdi is ready to serve with yogurt or Pickle.