Get ready for a healthy, nutritional, protein-packed rice recipe that you can prepare right off the pantry….Rajma rice! This is a simple concoction of rajma beans (Kidney beans) and supporting spices presented as a one-pot recipe to save you some time and stress in these unprecedented times.
I have received a lot of requests for pantry recipes using the Instant Pot over the past week. Rajma rice a.k.a kidney beans rice is one sumptuous protein-packed, vegan, gluten-free meal you can prepare with very little planning.
It’s ideal for lunch boxes and picnic options too because I was able to make this from scratch in less than 20 minutes. What made it even easier was the Instant Pot, but the traditional method is not too hard either.
You can prepare it with a traditional steam cooker or an electric rice cooker too. As long as you can add the right herbs and spices in the right proportions, this can be a go-to recipe for busy weekday dinner or a last-minute recipe without compromising on the nutritional value.
Hailing from Asia, Rice, Dal, and Beans is a staple diet in our household. What makes beans better than other protein alternatives is that they are plant-based, guilt-free and inexpensive. Kidney beans, in particular, are an excellent source of protein, fiber, and iron.
The texture of these beans varies in a wide range depending on how much you cook them. If they are over-cooked, they tend to become too mushy and lose part of their nutrition.
Undercooking them makes them too hard to chew and compromises on the taste. So it is important to cook them just enough to get the right texture.
Fortunately for us, there are canned kidney beans that are pre-cooked and ready for a gentle cook to get the perfect texture!
How to make kidney beans rice in Instant Pot
I used canned kidney beans for this recipe to simplify the process, but that also means that you have to rinse them pretty well before using them.
To get started with the dish, just start to saute cumin seeds, cloves, cardamoms, and cinnamon sticks with three tablespoons of oil.
As the cumin seeds start to sizzle, add chopped green chilies, onions, grated ginger, and chopped garlic. Saute them until the raw smell disappears and add the remaining spices like red chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala.
Now you are ready to stop the sauteing process by adding the rinsed rice, beans, and salt. Add appropriate amounts of water and stir well.
Use the pressure cook option on the Instant Pot and set the timer for 4 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, wait for 10 minutes before manually releasing the pressure.
That’s the procedure in a nutshell!
Just remove the lid and check out how fluffy the rice is! Rajma Rice is best served hot with raita or dal.
Tips to make rajma rice
- The best part about this recipe is that you can have several variations adding your choice of veggies. For a simple version, I do not add any veggies and prepare with just kidney beans, rice, herbs, and spices.
- I have used canned kidney beans in this recipe. You could also use the dried rajma, but be sure to soak them overnight before using it.
- I used basmati rice for this recipe. You could practically go with any long-grain white rice for this recipe.
- Use all the spices in the recipe ingredients. But if you are missing any of them, it is ok to replace that with a pinch of garam masala.
This recipe is hugely popular in Punjabi cuisine and is loved by people of all age groups. Try it today if you have never tasted it before.
You will love the simplicity of beans while getting wholesome nutrition at the same time. You can also have your own variations by adding other canned bean varieties or by adding other steamed vegetables. However, be sure to add more spices if you are adding other vegetables.
If this recipe interests you, please rate and comment below.
Here are few more Instant Pot Rice Recipes
Here are the recipe details….
Rajma Rice - Instant Pot Kidney Beans Rice
- Press saute on the instant pot and add 3 tsp of oil to the inner pot.
- Add cumin seeds, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon sticks. Saute them until the cumin seeds start to sizzle.
- Add chopped green chilies, onions, grated ginger, and chopped garlic. Saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the remaining spices like red chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala. Press cancel to stop the sauteing process.
- Then add rinsed rice, rinsed beans, salt, and water. Stir well and press the ‘pressure cook’ and set the time for 4 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, open the lid after 10 minutes by pressing the knob for manual release.
- Fluff the rice with a spoon or fork. Rajma rice is ready to be served hot paired with a side of raita or dal.
- Be sure to rinse the canned kidney beans in water before using it in the recipe. Not doing so, makes the rice sticky and mushy.
- Rinse the rice in clean water 3 times to get a vibrant, white steamed rice.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Pin this recipe for later