Potato Corn Chowder prepared with the Instant Pot! A chowder is a form of soup prepared with milk or cream and I am sharing the non-dairy version prepared with refreshing ingredients that will pique your interest as well as your taste buds 🙂
Instant Pot Potato Corn chowder is one recipe that could come in handy on a cold wintery day. It is typical to use milk or cream that is thickened with some form of meat like a clam.
I have used vegan ingredients to get the same consistency that is typical of any restaurant quality chowder. Potatoes bring in the thickness and texture and carrots & corn bring in the chewy nature for the chowder.
It all adds up to a simple and great-tasting corn chowder. With less than 10 major ingredients and the Instant Pot, this is one recipe you can prepare today. It is perfect as a main course paired with a side of garlic bread or dinner rolls.
Best kind of potatoes for this recipe
I used red potatoes for my version because the red variety adds fewer calories than russet potatoes and also helps in making the chowder creamier. I also peeled the skin and washed it in cold water to remove the extra starch. But you could also choose to keep the skin of the potatoes if you prefer so.
Can you freeze the corn chowder?
Feeling too bored to cook? Just make a big batch of pressure cooker corn chowder and put it in the freezer. Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder has a long shelf life and retains the taste and consistency when you reheat the frozen dish. You can refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
To make it vegan, I used coconut milk instead of milk or cream. You can use cashew milk or almond milk too. There is no compromise in taste as long as the consistency from the potatoes and corn stays intact. This was such a big hit in my family that my little one asked for this soup for her lunch bag! Too bad, I could not do that because corn chowder is best served hot. However, the soup did inspire her to help me prepare the chowder once again...
Why Instant Pot for potato Corn chowder?
The electronic pressure cooker has made everyday cooking so easy! I use instant pot pressure cooker almost every day. Recently, I have been sharing several Instant Pot recipes and today’s recipe for Corn Chowder is yet another successful one. This vegan potato corn chowder recipe has come out very delicious. Unlike the traditional stovetop method, there is no need to stir constantly or to keep an eye on the stovetop constantly.
How to make this recipe
Press ‘SAUTE’ mode on Instant Pot and add a couple of teaspoons of oil. As the oil heats up, add minced garlic cloves, and chopped onions.
Saute for 2-3 minutes until they turn light brown.
Add potatoes, frozen corn, chopped carrots, coconut cream, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper, and vegetable stock. Stir well. Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot. Close the lid on the pot, and turn the valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set the timer to 8 minutes.
Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR) which is when the silver button on the lid drops down.
Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoon water. Add cornstarch mixture and cayenne powder to chowder and press saute and cook for a minute and switch off the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve hot with dinner rolls or garlic bread.
- Use cornstarch for thick chowder consistency.
- Use coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk to get a richer consistency.
- Add red chili powder and Italian seasoning for extra flavor.
- Adding carrots is optional, but apart from adding nutrition, it also gives a nice color contrast to the chowder.
Check out my other recipes
Just subscribe to my newsletter for more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox.
If you’ve tried this recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder
- 4 red potatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels or fresh corn
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 4 cups of organic vegetable broth/stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion - diced
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Press ‘SAUTE’ mode on Instant Pot and add a couple of teaspoons of oil.
- As the oil heats up, add minced garlic cloves, and chopped onions.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes with regular stirring until they turn light brown in color.
- Add potatoes, frozen corn, chopped carrots, coconut cream, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and vegetable stock. Stir well. Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn the valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set the timer to 8 minutes.
- Wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR) which is when the silver button on the lid drops.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoon water.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cayenne powder to chowder and press saute and cook for a minute and switch off the heat.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes and the Potato Corn Chowder is ready!
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve it hot!
YOUR OWN NOTES
Pin this recipe for later use