A sweet and creamy Vermicelli kheer ready in less than 30 minutes! This can be enjoyed warm or cold.
We kick start this week with yet another sweet and creamy dessert that will leave you craving for more. What makes this special is that it is dairy free. Sevai Kheer is a traditional dessert in every Indian household. My hope is that this recipe is an eye-opener for all the readers that think that Indian desserts cannot be prepared in a vegan way.
There are several healthy replacements for milk and as long as you have ready access to one of them, you can make a vegan vermicelli kheer garnished with fried golden cashews and saffron flakes.
Do not let the name deceive you. Vermicelli is also known as Semiya or Seviya in the South. But they are just the same. Sevai ki kheer is basically prepared with vermicelli strands, milk, and sugar with a little prep work required for the vermicelli. They are usually roasted in butter before simmering in milk. My vegan version replaces the regular butter with the vegan butter and replaces milk with soy milk. Apart from that the rest of the procedure is pretty much the same as the regular kheer.
Sevai Kheer can be enjoyed warm or cold. I like it served cold, especially in the summer. Try it tonight or on a special occasion!
Check out my other related recipes
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
- 100 gram Roasted fine vermicelli
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- 1 quart Soy Milk / Almond milk - or 4 cups
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk or cream - optional
- 2 tablespoon roasted cashews
- 1 tablespoon roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Boil the milk in medium bowl over medium heat.
- As it starts to boil, add roasted vermicelli.
- Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes and add sugar. Once the mixture boils, turn down the heat.
- Add coconut milk, dry roasted nuts and raisins.
- Finally, add cardamom powder and stir well.
- Cover the lid for 10 minutes.
Dry roast the nuts and raisins before use.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.