There are several ways to celebrate Valentine’s but none come closer than preparing a sweet dessert for your loved ones! So, let's celebrate Valentine's day with a sumptuous dessert that you can prepare in less than 20 minutes.
It's a recipe for Seviyan Kheer using Instant Pot. I had shared the stovetop vermicelli kheer version about three years back and I figured rekindling the old recipe with the Instant Pot would fit the bill for Valentine’s.
Just like the stovetop version, this is a vegan recipe too and a lot easier to prepare. The number of requests I had received for the Instant Pot version was just overwhelming.
I had experimented with a few settings changes within the Instant Pot, before perfecting the recipe to get the right consistency and flavor.
What is vermicelli - Seviyan Kheer?
Vermicelli kheer is a delicious dessert typically prepared with milk, sugar and vermicelli strands.
Vermicelli has a few different names that are used interchangeably in Indian cuisine. It is known as Semiya or Seviyan.
A variation within that is the ‘roasted’ type that brings aroma and flavor which is very important in recipes like Kheer. Furthermore, the roasted version is easier to cook and makes it an oil-free dessert.
For flavoring this wonderful dessert, it is common to use cardamom powder and saffron strands. Fried nuts like cashews and pistachios also add to the flavor and authenticity of the recipe.
Tips to make the best Seviyan/ Vermicelli Kheer
- Before you start, it is very important that you clean the instant pot, including the lid and sealing ring with warm water and soap.
- I used almond milk in preparing this kheer. You can use any kind of plant-based milk.
- Add roasted or plain, crushed cashews or almond nuts to the kheer. This adds to the crunchiness and flavor to the Kheer.
- Add golden raisins at the end, for additional flavor and chewy consistency.
- If you are using non-roasted vermicelli, be sure to toast it with oil or vegan butter before cooking with milk.
- Add more milk if you prefer a thinner consistency.
This instant pot vermicelli kheer is a ‘dump and go’ recipe.
I just add everything to the pot, press the porridge button and adjust the timer setting. Now can it get easier than that?
This is perhaps the easiest and fuss-free dessert for any occasion and fits well as a last-minute Valentine's day dessert.
We have enjoyed this dessert served warm or cold. Most people prefer it warm, but if you prefer a thicker consistency, try it cold after storing it in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
For me personally, both versions are equally good!
How to make Instant pot vermicelli kheer
Here is my step by step directions for instant pot semiya payasam /kheer.
To the inner steel pot of your Instant Pot add all the ingredients one by one.
Stir and close the pot with the lid. Press the ‘porridge’ setting and set the time to 6 minutes.
The pre-set time for porridge mode is 20 minutes so you have to adjust it down to 6 minutes.
The pressure valve should be in a sealing position.
At the end of 6 minutes, let the pressure release naturally.
The kheer will continue to thicken as it cools down. You might need to add more milk if you prefer a thinner consistency.
Garnish with more nuts or dry edible rose petals and serve Seviyan Kheer warm or cold.
The first time I prepared this with the Instant Pot, the pot was empty in less than an hour! That’s how much my kids loved it and I hope that your family will like it just the way mine did.
If you find any part of it difficult, check out my video or get in touch with me on my Facebook page or comment below in the comment box.
Here are my few Instant Pot dessert recipes
Here are the recipe details….
Seviyan Kheer | Instant Pot Vermicelli Kheer
- Before you begin, make sure that the lid and the sealing ring of the Instant Pot are completely clean and dry. They should have no residue on them.
- To the inner steel pot of your Instant Pot add all the ingredients one by one.
- Stir and close the pot with the lid. Press the ‘Porridge’ button and set the time to 6 minutes. The pre-set time for porridge mode is 20 minutes. So you have to adjust it down to 6 minutes.
- Check to make sure that the pressure valve is in the ‘sealing’ position.
- At the end of 6 minutes, let the pressure release naturally.
- The kheer will continue to thicken as it cools down. You might need to add more milk if it thickens more than your preference.
- Garnish with chopped nuts or dry edible rose petals and serve Seviyan Kheer warm or cold.
- If you like it sweeter, add ¼ cup more sugar.
- If you prefer to choose non-roasted vermicelli, make sure you roast it with vegan butter or oil in saute mode.
- Likewise, you could roast the nuts in saute mode until they turn golden brown. Place them aside until you need it for the recipe.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.
You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Pin it for later