As we approach the last and festive part of the year, it is time to share an exciting recipe for all the readers with a sweet tooth! This is probably the second dessert that I have prepared with the Instant pot. I hope you are as excited as I was, to prepare Instant Pot Almond Katli or a.k.a ‘badam burfi’. Almond Katli is an easy, creamy and decadent dessert that you can prepare in less than 15 minutes!
It’s perfect for celebrating the upcoming festive time of the year in your own vegan way. The traditional method of preparing this fudge-like sweet is with the whole milk powder, almonds, ghee, sugar, and cardamom. I am sharing the vegan version of the traditional version.
As the Indian festival, ‘Diwali” is approaching fast, I am hoping this recipe reaches you in time to plan for the big day. I am sure you and your family will love this new dessert after a sumptuous holiday meal.
It has been a couple of years since I shared the recipe for almond squares made with whole almonds. That was the stovetop version. Apart from using the Instant Pot, there is another subtle change in today’s recipe. I used almond flour instead of almonds.
This eliminates the need for soaking the almonds or peeling and cuts the cooking time down to minutes! Can you imagine preparing a dessert in less than 15 minutes?!
You could use the same procedure with cashews instead of almonds. That’s two Instant Pot recipes for desserts that you can keep handy for big occasions. If you are not using instant pot, make sure you cook the syrup to a ‘one string consistency’ to mimic the consistency you get in an Instant Pot.
Tips to make perfect Badam burfi/ Katli
Here are a few tips to prepare the picture-perfect Badam Burfi…
- Take the right measurement of ingredients. Use same cup size for the entire procedure
- Stir sugar syrup well before closing the lid.
- Use fine almond flour and stir well to avoid lumps
- Use Cardamom powder for extra flavor
- Grease the aluminum foil before rolling the burfi.
Special holidays, weddings and festivals like Diwali/Deepavali in India are unthinkable without sweets, and burfi or barfi features prominently.
Also, try my Instant Pot Sabudana kheer for Diwali.
Here are the recipe details….
Badam Burfi - Instant Pot Almond Katli
- 1 cup almond flour superfine blanched
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp organic sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 3-4 saffron strands
- Add sugar, vegan butter, saffron strands, and water in the inner pot and mix it well.
- Close the lid and change the vent setting to sealing mode.
- Set for 'Manual/Pressure’ Cook for 5 minutes.
- When the pressure cooking cycle is complete, use the “QR”(Quick-Release) option
- Add 1 cup of almond flour to the sugar syrup and mix it well to avoid lumps.
- Grease the aluminum foils (need 2 of those) with vegan butter/oil.
- Transfer the dough to the greased aluminum foil. Cover it with a second greased aluminum foil.
- Roll the dough to your desired thickness with a rolling pin.
- That’s it! Cut them into bite-sized pieces or any desired shape! Enjoy the goodness of Almond katli/ Badam Burfi!
If this vegan recipe interests you, please rate and comment below. I am eager to see how it turns out for you.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Pin this recipe for later use