Cabbage Chickpeas Curry!
Today, I am catering to one of the most common requests I get via email…is there an uncommon recipe for cooking chickpeas? So, I would like to share this simple but flavorful recipe for Cabbage Chickpeas Curry a.k.a â€œGasiâ€ in South Indian cuisine. Gasi is a curry made with a fresh blend of spices along with a sweet flavor of coconut and jaggery. It is a truly unique curry with its distinctive taste and ingredients.
Growing up in South India, this curry is very near and dear to me. In my opinion, this is an ideal recipe if you are looking for a unique way to cook Chickpeas. By nature, this curry has a thick texture and makes it great to pair with steamed rice or warm rotis.
One great thing about this curry is that it stays good longer than most curries. I have made enough to last for a couple of days. I plan to pair it with rice for the first day and rotis on the second day. When you try this recipe, be sure to soak the chickpeas in water for at least six hours unless you plan on using canned chickpeas. Check out my step by step video and try this recipe today. You can leave a comment here or on my facebook page:-) If you are looking for more options with Chickpeas, try my recipe for Zucchini Chickpeas Curry. Looking for a vegan version of the specific Indian recipe? Click here to get in touch with me. Or Click here to subscribe to my newsletter today. Apart from weekly recipes, you will also get my hand-picked collection of vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. Here are the recipe detailsâ€¦.
Cabbage Chickpeas Curry
- Â½ medium sized cabbage or 5 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium size Onion
- 2 cups cooked Chickpeas
- 2 Â½ cup grated coconut
- 5-6 red long chillies
- 3 round red chilies optional
- 3 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice
- 1 strand curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida powder
- Soak the Chickpeas for 6 hours and steam cook them in a pressure cooker with a cup of water.
- Drain all the water and place them aside to cool down.
- Place a pan over medium heat and drizzle 1-2 teaspoons of oil. As the oil heats up, add Urad dal and fry for few seconds and follow up with cumin seeds and fry until they turn golden.
- Add red chilies fry until they are crispy (about a minute).
- Remove off heat and blend them with coconut and 2 cups of water. Set aside for later use.
- Place a medium size pan over medium heat and start to sautÃ© chopped onions with a teaspoon of oil.
- When they turn translucent, add the chopped cabbage and stir for an even mix.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add jaggery, tamarind and salt. Stir well.
- Add the cooked Chickpeas and let it cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the blended coconut paste and continue to stir.
- Add curry leaves and let it simmer for another 5-8 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and prepare mustard seeds seasoning or tempering: Place a pan over medium heat and saute mustard seeds, red chilies in 2 teaspoons of oil. As they start to splutter, switch off the heat and add asafoetida then add them to the curry.
Cabbage Chickpeas Curry is ready! Serve hot with steamed rice or Rotis.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon