Vegan Mushroom Masala
As more and more people are realizing the goodness and kindness that veganism brings, I am getting a lot of requests for vegan versions of dishes such as the one I am sharing today. Vegan Mushroom Masala is a simple and delicious recipe that is usually paired with rotis or Indian bread but tastes equally delicious when you pair it with rice.
If you like the mushroom masala served in most Indian restaurants, you will love this vegan version too. I did not add any cream or milk. All the creaminess comes from cashews and coconut milk. Â You do not really have to use coconut cream unless the gravy turns too watery.
Now obviously one of the key parts of this recipe is the mushrooms. But not any kind of mushrooms. Cremini or button mushrooms work the best for this recipe because they absorb the flavors from the gravy and blend very well into the recipe. Other mushroom types have a tendency to dominate the flavors.
Apart from the mushrooms, there is a list of spices that do much of the work in bringing the wonderful authentic flavor that will rival any restaurant offering. I have prepared this dish several times now and it has been a hit every time. Try this recipe today and pair it with Roti or Naan with spicy pickles on the side. You can also pair them up with steamed rice. If you like this, be sure to try my Mushroom Rice recipe another day.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe detailsâ€¦.
Vegan Mushroom Masala
- Â½ cup cubed onions
- 2 small tomatoes
- Â½ inch ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp cashews
- 2 green chilies
- Â½ tsp red chili powder
- Â¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Â½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Â½ cup coconut milk optional
- Â¼ tsp Kasuri methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 16 oz Mushrooms
- Blanch onions and cool them to room temperature. Blend them along with tomatoes, cashews or almonds, ginger, and garlic to a fine paste consistency and set aside.
- Pour the onion-tomato puree and cook until 2 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Continue to saute on low heat until the mixture thickens. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt and saute for another 4 mins.
- Pour water as needed and cook until the mushrooms turn tender. Bring the gravy to the desired consistency by adding more water or coconut milk if needed.
- Sprinkle Kasuri methi. Cover and remove from heat.
- Mushroom Masala is ready! Just garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or rotis!
Watch the short video here