Enjoy this Hagalakayi playa with rice. This bitter gourd curry is a vegan, low in carb, and gluten-free recipe.
Bitter gourd is one of the popular vegetables in Asian cuisine. The natural taste of this vegetable is bitter so it takes a little bit of getting used to. But once you acquire the taste, it could become one of your favorites.
I am picky when I shop for bitter gourds. I try and pick the fleshy and long ones because once they are gutted, long and thick pieces are easy to work with. If you are ever looking for this wonderful vegetable, be sure to pick the green ones. Ripened pieces are not suitable for cooking.
There are a lot of dishes that can be made with bitter gourd. For now, I will start with this simple curry. It's a minimalist version for a curry and you will be surprised how easy it is! In the Indian state of Karnataka, we call this vegetable "Hagalakayi".
Enjoy this Hagalakayi playa with rice. This bitter gourd playa is a vegan, low in carb, and gluten-free recipe.
Bitter gourd makes up for the bitterness with its medicinal benefits. In traditional Indian medicine, it's used to relieve diabetes, stomach complaints, and also cough.
If you make into small pieces of bitter gourd while cooking, it takes 10 - 15 mins to cook. For extra crispy ness, you have to cook more.
Check out my other recipes here
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials.
Hagalakayi Palya / Bitter gourd Curry
- 6-8 medium bitter gourd
- 1 head of garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp black gram
- Wash the bitter gourd , remove the seeds and dice then into small pieces or use the chopper.
- Places vessel over medium heat and drizzle the olive oil.
- After few seconds, add chopped bitter gourd and fry until it turns crispy and golden.
- Add salt.
- In a smaller pan fry mustard seeds, black gram, with a tsp of oil.
- When it starts to sputter, add chopped garlic and fry until it turns golden.
- Mix the bitter gourd fry and garlic seasoning together.