If you are entertaining guests, make a curry that goes well with rice as well as roti or bread.Â Spicy bitter gourd curry fits the bill for that. It is my one of favorite recipe among the bitter gourd dishes. It has a spicy note to it along with probiotic goodness from yogurt (Plain flavor) and also packs lot of nutrients in one serving.
Bitter gourd makes up for the bitterness with its medicinal benefits. In traditional Indian medicine, it’s used to relieve diabetes, stomach complaints and also cough.Â Â
If you are looking for a dry dish with bitter gourd, check out my post for bitter gourd curry with garlic flavor. For best results with this dish, choose the right kind of bitter gourd. You will have to avoid the ripe ones.
Be sure to marinate for at least 30 minutes so it can absorb all the flavors from spices and yogurt. Adding gram flour will enhance the flavors from all spices and really kicks it up a notch.
Spicy Bitter Gourd Curry
- In a bowl, add the following and mix well: chopped bitter gourd, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, and yogurt. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Place a pan over medium heat and pour 4 tsp coconut oil. When it's hot add the bitter gourd mixture and sautÃ©.
- Continue to saute them until the bitter gourd is thoroughly cooked.
- When all the wet ingredients dry out, add Bengal gram flour and continue to sautÃ©. Add salt, if necessary.
- In about 10 minutes, the dish should be thoroughly cooked. Turn off the heat.
Spicy bitter gourd curry is ready to serve.
Like I mentioned, this curry is suitable with boiled rice or roti’s. The combinationÂ of spicy and bitter taste gives the unique flavor to this dish. I am sure you will like this dish as much I do!