This broccoli soup is creamy and delicious that you would not believe that it is actually vegan. No Cream! No Cheese! How did I do it? It is easy when you have the right ingredients in the right proportions.
Here's another vegan superfood that you will want to try this fall season. . First off, I used the cruciferous twin of Broccoli - Cauliflowers. The two vegetables are similar in many ways, but cauliflower florets have a more delicate taste relatively speaking. They are less fibrous than Broccoli, hence offer a creamy texture when they are cooked and blended.
The other secret ingredient in getting the creamy texture is nutritional yeast. The only other instance I have used nutritional yeast is when I prepared Cabbage Kofta and I have been a fan of it ever since. Nutritional yeast gives a cheese-like taste and adds to the creamy texture.
Apart from that, it is a decent source of protein too. So, I was not concerned when my kids wanted to skip dinner for an additional bowl of broccoli soup 😉
This broccoli soup wihout cream is super easy to prepare and it took less than 30 minutes for me. Check out my video for detailed instructions. A healthy soup such as this is exactly what you need to cope for the upcoming cooler season. Try a serving today with a piece of dry toast or some crackers.
Check my other soup recipe
Easy Broccoli Soup
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeasts
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1-2 tbsp vegan cheddar style cheese - optional
- Place a pan over medium heat and add two tablespoons of oil
- Add bay leaves and garlic and saute until the garlic turns golden.
- Add chopped onions and saute until they are transparent.
- Add cauliflower florets and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and saute for 8 minutes or until the raw smell is gone.
- Let it cool down and blend to a paste, with 1 cup of water.
- Boil the mixture with coconut milk.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt and continue to stir.
- Add black pepper and let simmer for 6-8 minutes.
Enjoy broccoli soup without cream. Serve with vegan cheddar cheese or crackers!