Here’s another vegan superfood that you will want to try this fall season. A broccoli soup that is so creamy and delicious that you would not believe that it is actually vegan. No Cream! No Cheese! How did I do it? It is easy when you have the right ingredients in the right proportions. First off, I used the cruciferous twin of Broccoli – Cauliflowers.
The two vegetables are similar in many ways, but cauliflower florets have a more delicate taste relatively speaking. They are less fibrous than Broccoli, hence offer a creamy texture when they are cooked and blended.
The other secret ingredient in getting the creamy texture is nutritional yeast. The only other instance I have used nutritional yeast is when I prepared Cabbage Kofta and I have been a fan of it ever since. Nutritional yeast gives cheese-like taste and adds to the creamy texture.
Apart from that, it is a decent source of protein too. So, I was not concerned when my kids wanted to skip dinner for an additional bowl of broccoli soup 😉
The recipe is super easy to prepare and it took less than 30 minutes for me. Check out my video for detailed instructions. A healthy soup such as this is exactly what you need to cope for the upcoming cooler season. Try a serving today with a piece of dry toast or some crackers.
Feel free to leave your comments here or on my facebook page. You can also subscribe to my newsletter and you will get my recipes sent to your inbox. Apart from simple vegan & homemade recipes such as this, I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials in the form of a short e-book.
Just sign up for my newsletter if you have not done so already and you will get a copy. Here are the recipe details.
Check my other soup recipe
Easy Broccoli Soup
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeasts
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1-2 tbsp vegan cheddar style cheese optional
- Place a pan over medium heat and add two tablespoons of oil
- Add bay leaves and garlic and saute until the garlic turns golden.
- Add chopped onions and saute until they are transparent.
- Add cauliflower florets and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and saute for 8 minutes or until the raw smell is gone.
- Let it cool down and blend to a paste, with 1 cup of water.
- Boil the mixture with coconut milk.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt and continue to stir.
- Add black pepper and let simmer for 6-8 minutes.
Enjoy Easy broccoli soup. Serve with vegan cheddar cheese or crackers!