I bet you cannot find a better option than ” Tovve Saaru” when it comes to a quick and healthy recipe, especially if you are not feeling a 100%. Not only is the Tovve Saaru rich in protein, it also packs in the power of ginger to take care of the ill effects from the common cold. If you are out ofÂ produce, this will be the best, easy and healthy choice. All you need is toor dal or moong dal and a few other common ingredients. Both the dal choices are equally tasty and healthy. The best part is that you do not need any curry powder for this recipe! It goes well with rice or even as a soup!
The secret behind the taste is from turmeric, coconut milk, ginger and the dal. Tovve (Translation: Dal in local language) saaru is one of the little known comfort food in Karnataka.
The flavor from coconut milk, ginger give this recipe a dense soupy texture. They also add a rich slow cooked depth of flavor. You can adjust the spiciness to your taste by adding fewer green chilies but skipping any other ingredient would not do justice to the dish. I used to make this dish almost every day, accompanied with sautÃ©ed veggies and some home made chips or mango pickle.
Follow these simple steps for saaru or rasam
Tovve Saaru |Split Yellow lentil Rasam
- Place a medium size vessel with 2 cups water and washed Moong dal over medium heat. Place a cover on top and check back in 10 minutes.
- When the dal appears cooked (squishy or mashable), add turmeric powder, ginger, green chilies and add 2 more cups of water. Place a cover and let the it boil on medium heat.
- When it starts to boil, add salt and coconut milk and turn off heat.
- Add chopped cilantro and squeeze a little lemon juice on top.
- Finally, prepare the seasoning: Place pan over medium heat with tea spoon of coconut oil. As the oil starts to heat up, add cumin seeds, black gram, and red chilies. When the spices start to roast, add curry leaves and switch off the heat.
- Now add this seasoning to Tovve Saaru.
Tovve Saaru is best served hot, with sautÃ©ed veggies and pickle! Enjoy!Â