Instant Pot Vegetable Quinoa is a simple and nutritious recipe that is perfect for lunch, dinner and lunch boxes as well.
Quinoa is not common in Asian or Indian cuisine, but the nutritional benefits are so much better compared to white rice or brown rice. So, quinoa recipes with delicious Indian spices are a welcome change.
Best Vegetable Quinoa
Preparing this vegetable quinoa with the instant pot is very straightforward. The trick lies in choosing the right spice combination that brings the best from quinoa.
The list of ingredients for this recipe is quite long, but I can tell you that they all play an important role in the taste and texture of this recipe.
The only ingredients you can probably change are coconut milk and the vegetables that you prefer to add to the recipe.
If you do not prefer the sweet flavor of coconut milk, you could use other non-dairy milk such as cashew or almond milk.
I updated the recipe based on readers questions and interests.
This time I omitted few ingredients to make it simple and delicious.
You can skip few ingredients like bay leaf, star anise, and black pepper. Still, you will get a delicious bowl of vegetable quinoa.
The other highlight of this recipe is that I only used 2 teaspoons of cooking oil. The other source of fat is the quarter cup of coconut milk that I added.
What a healthy low-fat alternative to restaurant food! I am excited to hear your comments after you try this recipe.
If you are looking for more recipes with quinoa, look no further! I have shared a bunch of them in the past. Spicy Spinach quinoa, Pineapple fried quinoa, Sprouted quinoa tomato soup, and quinoa salad to name a few…
If you want my recipes directly at your inbox, just hit the subscribe button at the right. If you are new to my site, you should check out my simple but useful e-book where I put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. You will get a copy when you subscribe to the recipes.
Here are the recipe details.
Instant Pot Vegetable Quinoa
- 1 ½ cup white quinoa
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 2 star anise optional
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 1 tsp garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp ginger paste or chopped ginger
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tomato
- 1 cubed red potatoes
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 chopped carrots
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder optional
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Pink salt to taste
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- Add oil to inner pot. Press saute and when oil is hot, add cumin seeds, star anise and cloves.
- Add the following in the same order with a minute of cook time between each: Minced ginger, Garlic, onions, tomatoes, and all dry spices.
- Now, add all the vegetables, coconut milk and salt . Stir constantly for 30 seconds.
- Add rinsed quinoa and water and continue to stir.
- Close the lid of the instant pot. Turn the steam release handle to sealing position. Press pressure cooking and set the time for 4 minutes.
- When the time is up, open the lid using 10 minutes natural release.
- The only ingredients you can probably change are coconut milk and the vegetables that you prefer to add to the recipe.
- If you do not prefer the sweet flavor of coconut milk, you could use other non-dairy milk such as cashew or almond milk.
- Youn can skip few spices if that is not available to you like bay leaf, star anise.
Instant Pot Vegetable Quinoa is ready! It is best served hot with a side of soy or coconut yogurt or potato chips.
Save this recipe for later use