These homemade ragi biscuits are a healthier option for us than the store bought biscuits. These ragi cookies are vegan and done with in 30 minutes.
How to make Finger Millet cookies or Ragi Biscuit - Finger Millet aka Ragi Flour is a wonder food in India and a lot other Asian countries but hardly known in the western countries. It is probably the most underrated "cereal" food. So, I decided I should go into a little more detail about what it brings to the table....literally..:-)
High levels of Calcium, Iron, Protein, Fiber, and gluten-free are some of the goodness of Finger Millet and I am sure one of them is sure to make you buy it at your local Whole Foods store. I personally know a lot of family members that have stayed on a Finger Millet diet to lose weight.
Finger Millet could be enjoyed in different recipes like Dosa, Upma, Cakes, Halwa, and also Cookies. I am going to be posting all of those recipes this year, but here's a sweet cookie recipe to start with.
Apart from Finger Millet, there is yet another secret ingredient in this recipe. It's my home-made oats milk. I am sure you have noticed that I have switched to vegan recipes in my blog and I found this great recipe for Oats Milk from a fellow blogger, Mel at her website at A Virtual Vegan. Not only it tastes awesome, but it also made a good substitute for milk in my cookie recipe.
Finger Millet Cookie is just the start of a wonderful and healthy journey with Finger Millet. Try this today and post your comments. Don't forget to sign up for my email, so you don't miss any of the wonderful, simple and sumptuous recipes...:-)
Step By Step Directions:
Preheat oven 360 F. In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, mix the brown sugar, melted vegan butter, and vanilla essence. Add this to the dry ingredients and also add oats milk or any other dairy-free milk.
Knead well to get an even mixture. Add more oats milk, if needed.
Use a cookie scoop to make little dough balls and press down gently to flatten them, and place the cashew in the center. Place them onto a baking sheet, spacing them a couple of inches apart. Bake for 15 -20 minutes, until turns dark brown edges, appear. Remove off the heat and let cool.
Ragi Cookies are ready!
Finger Millet Cookies- Ragi Biscuit
- 1 cup Finger Millet flour - or ragi flour
- 1 cup wheat flour or use maida
- 4-6 tablespoon dairy free milk - I used oats milk
- ½ cup vegan butter - earth balance organic or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 20-30 cashews - optional
- Preheat oven 360F. In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the brown sugar, melted vegan butter, and vanilla essence.
- Add this to the dry ingredients and also add oats milk or any other dairy free milk.
- Knead well to get an even mixture. Add more oats milk, if needed.
- Use a cookie scoop to make little dough balls and press down gently to flatten them, and place the cashew in the center.
- Place them onto a baking sheet, spacing them a couple of inches apart.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes, until turns dark brown edges, appear.