Here is a great way to use all of those garden-fresh cucumbers. This cucumber bread recipe is just right: 100% whole wheat, no eggs (cholesterol-free), with a light, decadent crumb. Moreover, the prep time 20 minutes.
This day marks a special day in Simple Sumptuous Cooking because it marks the two year anniversary of the blog. I want to thank all my readers, friends, and family for your unbelievable response and support. I want to share a unique recipe to mark this special day! Cucumber Walnut Bread!
A crisp flavor of cucumber paired with walnuts is a unique way to awaken your taste buds. The recipe is not very different from that of mango bread that I shared in the past.
Since Cucumbers contain more water, you have to be sure to strain excess water from them before you add them. Excess water can ruin the dough pretty fast.
I saved the excess water in a bowl, so I can add it later if the dough turns out too dry. Apart from that, the procedure is very simple. Although I found several recipes for Zucchini bread and a few recipes for cucumber bread, there aren't any vegan versions.
Similar to some of my recipes like Vegan Honey Cake or Rustic Almond Chocolate chip cookie, I used flax-eggs as an egg replacement. Just whisk 2 tablespoons of flax meal in 6 tablespoons of warm water and you have an excellent, cholesterol-free egg replacement!
Cucumber Walnut Bread
- 2 Cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ Cup Corn Oil - or any oil
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 cup grated cucumber
- ½ Cup chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan lightly with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk and mix the dry ingredients: Wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon.
- Grate the cucumber and strain excess water. Do not press or squeeze.In a different bowl, add organic sugar, oil, vanilla essence, and flax eggs. (2 tablespoon flax meal add 6 tablespoon warm water)Mix them well for an even mix.
- Combine the wet mixture with the flour mixture and stir until the mixture is homogeneous. later add walnuts, mix gently.Pour the batter into a pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool down for 20 minutes before cutting the slices to prevent it from breaking apart.
Cucumber Walnut Bread is ready!
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
how much salt?
Pinch of salt is sufficient. Hope you will try this soon. Thank you
I've never had cucumber in bread before, but I dig it. Such a lovely recipe. Will have to try this. Thanks for sharing!
Hehej, cucumber and walnuts? I would never thought of that! But sounds so great, so delicious and inviting to be made asap! 😀
Linda and Alex @ Veganosity
This is totally new to me. I've never heard of cucumber bread and I'm sure I'd love it! Thank you for the wonderful recipe, Uma!
Thank you Linda 😊
Happy blog anniversary!! This looks delicious too, will definitely have to try it out soon:)
Thank you 🙏🏻.
I am stoked to try this recipe! 2 questions. One do you think it would work if I subbed agave for sugar? Two have you baked any over grown cucumbers? I have a bunch that have that strong chemically bitter taste I am trying to salvage and am hoping baking will change it
Hi Kendra, if it has bitter tatse dont use it. Agave will make bread dense; you can try it. I made it once with agave. It turned ok but heavy and dense.
That sounds delicious and so unique! I've never thought of adding cucumbers to bread, but I can't wait to try!
Yes right. 🙂 Now cucumber bread is my favorite bread:) Thank you Cindy!
Niki @ Toot's Mom is Tired
That looks delicious!
Thank you Niki!