How to make Pineapple Fried Quinoa
I love Quinoa and it is quite obvious from all the wonderful recipes I have shared using this super grain. Although Quinoa has its own unique taste offering, it can be a wonderful replacement for rice in some recipes.
The recipe I am sharing today falls along similar lines. I am sure you have all tried Pineapple Fried Rice at Thai restaurants or even at home. Pineapple Fried Quinoa, like the name, suggests in a refreshing new way of adding variety to your table.
Pineapple adds a wonderful tropical flavor to the dish. I like my dishes spicy, but not so for my kids. Having bite-sized pineapple chunks offer the sweet relief that my kids look for.
I also added cucumber slices on the side…just like the restaurants 😉 It’s a kid-friendly, vegan and gluten-free recipe that you will love to prepare on special days. If you are looking kids lunch box recipe, this one will be right up to your alley.
You could also try a few variations from this recipe, by adding tofu and/or vegetables like scallions and bok choy. The choices are so diverse that you are sure to find your favorite.
When you prepare this recipe, be sure to drain the cooked quinoa well, before you add it to the dish. This will keep the rich flavors intact. The same goes for tofu if you decide to add it.
Feel free to leave your comments here or on my facebook page. You can also subscribe to my newsletter and you will get my recipes sent to your inbox.
Apart from simple vegan & homemade recipes such as this, I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials in the form of a short e-book.
I am also working on a few other recipe books that focus on special interests. Just sign up for my newsletter if you have not done so already and you will get a copy.
Here are the recipe details.
Pineapple Fried Quinoa
- 1 ½ cup Dry Quinoa
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup bell pepper
- 1 large chopped carrots
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Cook the quinoa, drain the water and place it aside.
- Place a pan over medium heat add oil.
- When the oil heats up, saute garlic until they turn a golden color.
- Add onions and saute until they are transparent.
- Add carrots and bell pepper saute for a minute.
- Add Garam Masala, red chili powder, curry powder and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add pineapple chunks and stir well.
- Add salt, Soy sauce, and Ketchup and place a cover on top. Let it cook for 6- 8 minutes.
- Add cooked quinoa and mix well. Let it cook for another couple of minutes before switching off the heat.
Pineapple Fried Quinoa is ready! Serve with slices of cucumber on the side.