This Tofu Matar Masala or Tofu and Green Peas curry is a vegan version of the classic and very famous Indian dish - "Matar Paneer"
My family loves any recipe with sweet peas in it. As it is starting to get warmer every day, my choices for vegetables are becoming better than ever and I chose sweet peas a.k.a "Matar" in India as my spotlight for this dish.
In Indian restaurants, you can find this recipe as "Matar Paneer" which translates as Peas and Cheese.
Typically it is a dish with a gravy that is rich in cream and rich in spices. But I am not going to sign it off as a dairy recipe just yet.
Not without trying. And here we are with a Vegan Tofu Matar Recipe or Peas Tofu Gravy that tastes just as good as in restaurants but a lot healthier!!
The challenge is to find the right substitute for cheese and cream to match the original taste. Everything else is quite simple.
I used Tofu and cashews to get the creamy consistency.
Check out my short video and you will see how easy it is. Share my video and this page with your friends and let them how easy it is to go vegan and still not give up what you crave. You can also visit my Facebook page and leave me comments.
Try my other gravy recipes too 🙂
Matar Tofu Recipe - Peas Tofu Gravy
- 14 oz Tofu or 1 ½ cup cubed Tofu
- 1 cup peas or frozen peas - see notes
- 2 cloves
- ¼ teaspoon crushed cardamom or use cardamom powder
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 large tomatoes or 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup soaked cashews or use cashew paste
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar - optional
- ¼ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves
- ½ cup Cilantro for garnish
- Blend chopped tomatoes, onions and soaked cashews (cashews soaked for 30 minutes in hot water) to a smooth paste.
- Saute the tofu for 5 minutes in olive oil.
- In the same pan, saute cloves, crushed cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon stick in a teaspoon of oil for about a minute.
- Add crushed garlic and grated ginger and continue to saute for 1 more minute.
- Now, add the blended paste and mix it well. Place a lid on the pan and let it cook for 5-8 minutes until the raw smell from onions goes away.
- Add chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder. Stir well. Cover the lid to continue to cook for at least 2 minutes.
- Add cooked peas or frozen peas and mix well. (soak the dry peas overnight then pressure cook up to 3 whistles)
- Add the sauteed tofu and stir gently. Place a cover on the pan and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- As it starts to boil, remove the lid and add a little sugar, Kasuri methi, or dried fenugreek leaves. Garnish with cilantro.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Tofu Matar is ready to serve with rice or Indian flatbread.