Â Lip Smacking Masala Potatoes
Todayâ€™s recipe for Lip Smacking Masala Potatoes is a calling for all Potato lovers! Most potato lovers also like a little bit of spice in their food. If you are one of them or if you have a potato lover in your family, you will love this.
It is a pretty common recipe in Indian cuisine and more commonly called as Bombay Potatoes. Although they are not a standalone entree, Masala Potatoes pair very well with a milder companion dish.
For example, I prepare a dish like â€œBasil Leaves Thambuliâ€Â (nowÂ I make vegan version) when I cook these potatoes. A spicy side paired with a milder dish such as this makes a meal that is not too spicy or dry. My kids have also taken a liking to this when I pair them this way.
The directions to prepare start with cooking the potatoes. You could use baby potatoes or dice bigger potatoes too. But the key is to not cook them completely when you start. Instead, you cook them halfway and fully cook them when you have the spices sizzling.
This will ensure that the aroma of ground spices are infused with the potatoes as they cook. The spices form a thin crust on the potatoes like a thin wafer.
I like to use baby potatoes because they involve less cutting and hence less prep time. Follow the directions and you will have Masala Potatoes ready in less than 40 minutes that is bursting with flavor.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe detailsâ€¦.
Lip Smacking Masala Potatoes
- 12-16 small potatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or 2 fresh tomatoes (blended and evaporated)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium-size red onion
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Â½ tsp cumin powder
- Â½ tsp mango powder Amchur Powder
- Â¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes skin, cook them halfway by boiling in water for 10 mins. Place them aside.
- In a separate pan, drizzle 2 teaspoons of cooking oil over medium heat and add mustard seeds. When they start to sizzle, add curry leaves.
- Add chopped garlic and cook until they turn golden.
- Add chopped onions and cook until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomato paste and 2-3 tbsp water. Mix well.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until the raw smell is gone.
- Now add the half cooked potatoes and gently toss them around to get an even mix of masala on the potatoes.
- Close the lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- If required, add a little more water and cook for another 5- 10 mins.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Check out my video for this recipe:
Save this recipe for later use:
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Out of stock