Today's recipe for Lip Smacking Masala Potatoes is a calling for all Potato lovers! Most potato lovers also like a little bit of spice in their food. If you are one of them or if you have a potato lover in your family, you will love this Bombay potato recipe.
It is a pretty common recipe in Indian cuisine and more commonly called as Bombay Potatoes Recipe. Although they are not a standalone entree, Masala Potatoes pair very well with a milder companion dish.
The directions to prepare start with cooking the Bombay potatoes. You could use baby potatoes or dice bigger potatoes too. But the key is to not cook them completely when you start. Instead, you cook them halfway and fully cook them when you have the spices sizzling.
This will ensure that the aroma of ground spices are infused with the potatoes as they cook. The spices form a thin crust on the potatoes like a thin wafer.
I like to use baby potatoes because they involve less cutting and hence less prep time. Follow the directions and you will have Masala Potatoes ready in less than 40 minutes that is bursting with flavor.
Here are few recipes that go well with Bombay potatoes recipe
Hurali saaru, tomato rasam, dal fry, chana dal
If you have time comment below and rate the recipe in the comment box below. Follow me on social media's Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.
- 12-16 small potatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste or - 2 fresh tomatoes (blended and evaporated)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium-size red onion
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon mango powder - Amchur Powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes skin, cook them halfway by boiling in water for 10 mins. Place them aside.
- In a separate pan, drizzle 2 teaspoons of cooking oil over medium heat and add mustard seeds. When they start to sizzle, add curry leaves.
- Add chopped garlic and cook until they turn golden.
- Add chopped onions and cook until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomato paste and 2-3 tablespoon water. Mix well.
- Add all the powdered spice. Follow up with salt.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until the raw smell is gone.
- Now add the half-cooked potatoes and gently toss them around to get an even mix of masala on the potatoes.
- Close the lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- If required, add a little more water and cook for another 5- 10 mins.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Save this recipe for later use:
Spice coated baby potatoes look absolutely lip smacking .I can have it anytime. Superb share Uma.
it's very nice Lovely potato curry; simply delicious! The spice coated bites are so tempting! good job
This Masala potatoes looks so inviting. Easy and all time hit. Beautiful clicks .