I rarely prepare deep-fried snacks but I recently bought a loaf of bread that was too hard for sandwiches and too dry for salad. So, I decided to prepare this little-known crispy snack called Bread Vada Recipe. It is a perfect fit for an evening snack over tea or a small get-together with friends and family.
If you are pressed for time for a quick snack, crispy bread vada is just what you need! No need to plan ahead...just throw the ingredients together with bread crumbs and taste the magic!
I found several other recipes for Indian vada but very few for bread vada and none of them were vegan. Vada is a fairly common snack in South India, made with rice and lentils. There are several vada versions and the one I share here is probably the easiest one you will find because it does not need any soaking or prepping ahead of time.
I consider Bread Vada to be the best kind of comfort food. It has a crispy exterior, softcore, and just enough spice to hit the spot. You just feel happy when you're biting into a piece and you cannot stop with just one. Pair them up with coconut chutney or even Maggie Hot & Sweet Chilli sauce and it tastes heavenly.
There's no need for fancy cutlery or linens. All you need are a few paper plates and napkins and you're ready to dig in. The recipe can be prepared with any bread. I request that you stick to a vegan version though...:-)
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.
If you’ve tried this recipe then don’t forget to leave a rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Bread Vada Recipe
- Prepare coarse crumbs with the bread.
- Gently mix all the ingredients listed above, with the bread crumbs to prepare the dough.
- Make 2 inch balls with the dough and flatten them with a spatula or bare hands.
- Deep fry the batter in oil until they turn golden.
- Baked version: Preheat oven, Bake @ 355 F
- Place the vada on greased pan and bake for 15- 20 min, until golden color.
- Crispy Bread Vada is ready! Serve them hot with your favorite hot sauce or chutney 🙂
Save this recipe for later