Â Crispy Bread Vada Recipe
I rarely prepare deep fried snacks but I recently bought a loaf of bread that was too hard for sandwiches and too dry for salad. So, I decided to prepare this little known crispy snack called Bread Vada. It is a perfect fit for an evening snack over tea or a small get-together with friends and family. If you are pressed for time for a quick snack, crispy bread vada is just what you need! No need to plan ahead…just throw the ingredients together with bread crumbs and taste the magic!
I found several other recipes for Indian â€œvadaâ€, but very few for bread vada and none of them were vegan. Vada is a fairly common snack in South India, made with rice and lentils. There are several vada versions and the one I share here is probably the easiest one you will find because it does not need any soaking or prepping ahead of time.
I consider Bread Vada to be the best kind of comfort food. It has a crispy exterior, softcore, and just enough spice to hit the spot. You just feel happy when youâ€™re biting into a piece and you cannot stop with just one. Pair them up with coconut chutney or even Maggie Hot â€˜nâ€™ Sweet Chilli sauce and it tastes heavenly. Thereâ€™s no need for fancy cutlery or linens. All you need are a few paper plates and napkins and youâ€™re ready to dig in. The recipe can be prepared with any bread. I request that you stick to a vegan version though…:-)
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe detailsâ€¦.
Crispy Bread Vada Recipe
- 6-7 slices of bread any type of vegan bread
- Â½ cup chopped onion
- Â¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- Â¼ grated carrots
- Â¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Â½ cup non-dairy yogurt
- 2 tsp green chilies
- Oil for deep fry
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup semolina
- Prepare coarse crumbs with the bread.
- Gently mix all the ingredients listed above, with the bread crumbs to prepare the dough.
- Make 2â€ balls with the dough and flatten them with a spatula or bare hands.
- Deep fry the batter in oil until they turn golden.
- Baked version: Preheat oven, Bake @ 355 F
- Place the vada on greased pan and bake for 15- 20 min, until golden color.
- Crispy Bread Vada is ready! Serve them hot with your favorite hot sauce or chutneyâ€¦:-)
Watch myÂ quick video here:
Save this recipe for later:
Products from Amazon.com