Creamy Tomato Kale Orzo
The title Creamy Tomato-Kale Orzo says a lot about this recipe and it rings true in every bite. I made up that name based on how it tastes. If you are wondering what Orzo is, it is nothing but a form of shortcut pasta in the shape of a large grain of rice.
This recipe brings rich tomato flavors along with a full serving of vegetables. It has been a while since I shared a non-Indian recipe and I hope you will find it as an option for dinner or when you are entertaining a large group.
Unlike some of the store-bought pasta sauce that is too heavy on pureed tomatoes, this recipe has a healthy amount of tomatoes but also a creamy base of cashews and a full serving of crunchy Kale leaves. I started with preparing the Kale leaves (Homegrown Winter Red Kale!) and continued with preparing the tomato base.
Featuring just a little spiciness from chili flakes, this pasta remains somewhat on the mild on the heat scale, so you can enjoy this all summer long. You can add more chili flakes, however, if you prefer more heat.
Orzo can be served alone or as a soup accompaniment. It’s easy to serve up and eat making it a good option for serving a crowd. The best part about this recipe is the shelf life. It can easily last up to three days in the refrigerator.
Try it today and let me know how you like it. For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter. You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Here are the recipe details.
Creamy Tomato Kale Orzo
- 1 ¼ Orzo pasta
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ tsp tomato paste
- ½ cup cashew cream/ paste
- 1 tsp Oregon
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped kale leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium size onion
- In a large pan, boil the orzo (pasta) in water and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, place a pan on medium heat and drizzle few tablespoons of oil.
- When oil heats up, add chopped kale and saute until they are crispy. Place them aside.
- In the same pan, saute chopped garlic until they turn golden.
- Add chopped onion and saute until they turn translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for about a minute.
- Add tomato paste and cashew paste or cream. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add salt and the cooked orzo. Mix evenly.
- Turn the heat off and add the Kale leaves
- Creamy Tomato-Kale Orzo is ready! Serve hot paired with breadsticks! Enjoy!
Check my video here:
Save this recipe for later:
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $18.93Was: $25.28
Price: Check on Amazon