Balekai palya is one of the easy and nutritious stir fry recipes. This is vegan and gluten free side dish that you can make with in 30 minutes.
Plantain stir fry is a very simple recipe. Cooking plantains can be tricky sometimes. If you have tried peeling the skin off to cook them, plantains will certainly not be in your favorites.
The trick with Plantain stir fry is that you do not have to take the entire skin off.
Plantains come with several health benefits, most importantly boosting the immune system. There are several ways to cook plantain dishes in Indian cooking, but I will start with an easy one today. I am happy to share this recipe because one of my site visitors requested this recipe. I am happy to share this plantain recipe.
If you want any other green plantain recipe like this to let me know in the comment box.
If you need a recipe for Indian dish or perhaps a vegetable, let me know and I will add it to my growing list!
Follow this stir fry or Palya recipe for a soft interior and a crispy exterior.
What goes in this recipe
- 3 raw plantains - Choose green colored and raw plantains
- 2 tablespoon sambar powder - Use homemade or store-bought sambar powder
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil - I used organic virgin coconut oil, you can use any other oil like canola or vegetable oil
How to make this recipe
Peel the plantain skin like I show in the pictures and chop them into little cubes. Place a pan over medium heat with 2- 3 cups of water.
Add the chopped plantains. When the water starts to boil, switch off the heat and allow it to cool.
Drain the excess water and place the plantains aside. Place a pan over medium heat with oil. When the oil heats up, add the half-cooked plantains. Fry it for a while (4-5 mins) and add sambar powder, salt to taste.
Fry them until they get crispy (about 10 minutes). Plantain Stir Fry is ready!
I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials in the form of a short e-book. Just sign up for my newsletter if you have not done so already and you will get a copy. By subscribing to my newsletter, you will also get my recipes sent to your inbox.
Plantain Stir Fry- Balekai Palya Recipe
- 3 raw plantains
- 2 tablespoon sambar powder - or curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Peel the plantain skin like I show in the pictures and chop them into little cubes.
- Place a pan over medium heat with 2- 3 cups of water. Add the chopped plantains. When the water starts boil, switch off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Drain the excess water and place the plantains aside.
- Place a pan over medium heat with oil.
- When oil heats up, add the half cooked plantains.
- Fry it for a while (4-5 mins) and add sambar powder, salt to taste.?
- Fry them until they get crispy (About 10 minutes).
- Plantain Stir Fry is ready!
Check above for step-by-step pictures (most of my recipes include pictures)
YOUR OWN NOTES
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
If this recipe interests you, Please rate and comment below.
For more delicious vegan recipes such as this sent directly to your inbox, just subscribe to my newsletter.
You will also get a copy of my e-book where I have put together some simple vegan dessert recipes and dessert essentials. My readers have found it very helpful and I am hoping you will too!
Her Own Beat
I'm going to have to try this!
mel | avirtualvegan.com
I've only ever tried plantain once and I loved them. This looks great and once the plantains are peeled, pretty easy too. Thanks for sharing :O)
Thank you Mel!
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
I've never know how to peel plantains. Thanks for sharing this!
Thanks for reading 🙂
Melissa @ Vegan Huggs
This dish looks phenomenal. I've had plantains before, but not cooked like this. Thank you for the inspiration 🙂
Thank you Melissa!