Sabudana Kheer is one of India’s popular recipe and is usually prepared as a dessert during festivals. Here is my vegan version of that recipe and made in Instant Pot.
Servings: 4 people
Soak the clean and rinsed sabudana for 10 minutes.
Drain them well and put them inside the instant pot and add 2 cups of water. Cook for 10 mins under high pressure (manual mode).
Use the natural release method to let them cook and open the lid.
Press the “saute” setting and add 1 can of coconut milk, 2 tablespoon cashews, a ½ cup of jaggery, 4 saffron strands. Stir well.
Add a few more teaspoons of sugar, if you prefer it sweeter.
After 2 mins of boiling add cardamom powder and switch the instant pot off.
Let it cool a little and Sabudana kheer is ready! Serve hot or chilled.
- Before soaking the tapioca pearls, wash them twice to remove the starch coating. Starch coating tends to make them sticky.
- I used canned coconut milk. You can also use fresh coconut milk to improve the taste.
- I used Jaggery to sweeten the Kheer. You can also use sugar or coconut sugar as a variation.
- Adding Saffron strands and garnishing cardamom powder and nuts brings a ton of authentic flavor to the dish.
- Sabudana kheer or tapioca pudding becomes thick after 30 mins at room temperature. You can add more milk if you prefer to eat thin consistency.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 393kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Sodium: 16mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg