Instant Pot Vegetable Quinoa
Preparing this vegetable quinoa with the instant pot is very straight forward. The trick lies in choosing the right spice combination that brings the best from quinoa.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 ½ cup white quinoa
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 2 star anise optional
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste or chopped ginger
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tomato
- 1 cubed red potatoes
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 chopped carrots
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder optional
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Pink salt to taste
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
Add oil to inner pot. Press saute and when oil is hot, add cumin seeds, star anise and cloves.
Add the following in the same order with a minute of cook time between each: Minced ginger, Garlic, onions, tomatoes, and all dry spices.
Now, add all the vegetables, coconut milk and salt . Stir constantly for 30 seconds.
Add rinsed quinoa and water and continue to stir.
Close the lid of the instant pot. Turn the steam release handle to sealing position. Press pressure cooking and set the time for 4 minutes.
When the time is up, open the lid using 10 minutes natural release.
Note: The nutrition values I show here are my best estimates. Please be sure to check your preferred nutrition calculator, if you are reliant on accurate calculations in your diet.
- The only ingredients you can probably change are coconut milk and the vegetables that you prefer to add to the recipe.
- If you do not prefer the sweet flavor of coconut milk, you could use other non-dairy milk such as cashew or almond milk.
- Youn can skip few spices if that is not available to you like bay leaf, star anise.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 20mg | Potassium: 113mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 356IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg