Black Bean Curry
Here’s a recipe for a perfect black bean curry simmered in coconut milk and spices that will make your dinner time an enjoyable one! This dish turned out so delicious that my family craved for more in the entire week.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup Dry black bean
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ ginger grated or chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon cilantro for garnish
Fist soak the black bean for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Place the soaked blackbean in an instant pot with 1 ¼ cup water and press “pressure cook” for 15 minutes. Then do natural release and place the beans aside.
Place a pan over medium heat and add oil when oil starts to heat up add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start to sizzle, add chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for a few seconds. Add chopped onions and saute until they turn translucent.
Add chopped tomatoes and saute for a few seconds and then add all the spices and mix well. Cover with lid and let it cook for a minute.
Now add the cooked black beans along with the water used for cooking. Mix well and add salt.
Add canned or fresh coconut milk and stir well. Add ½ cup water ,if required (to make it thinner) and simmer for 2 minutes. Then switch the heat off and garnish with cilantro! Black Bean Curry is ready!
- You can use canned black beans instead of dry black beans. (make sure to drain the water and rinse with clean water before using it in the recipe)
- Add ½ cup water if you prefer your curry to be thinner.
- Soak the black bean overnight to reduce cooking time.
- Skip the coconut milk if you do not have it readily available. As a substitute, you can add 2 tablespoon of almond powder.
- Adding curry powder is also a good substitute for spices or a variation to the recipe.
- If black beans are not available add other cooked beans like kidney beans, black-eyed beans, yellow lentils.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 317mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 366IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 2mg