Vegetable Poha Recipe
Vegetable Poha is a quick breakfast or snack food made of beaten rice or flattened rice from the Indian cuisines.
Servings: 4 people
Soak the Poha in water for 5 to 8 minutes. Strain the water and place it aside.
Place a pan over medium heat and saute the cashews over vegetable oil.
Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and saute until they sizzle or pop.
Add ginger, chilies, and curry leaves and saute for 30 -40 seconds.
Add onions and saute until they turn translucent.
Add grated carrots, beans, and tomatoes. Add salt to taste.
Cook for 2 minutes and then add spices like turmeric, chili powder and garam masala. Cook for about 5 minutes until the raw smell is gone.
Now, add the strained Poha and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
Switch off the heat and drizzle few teaspoons of lemon juice and garnish with Cilantro before serving.
- The choice of vegetables is really up to you.
- I chose to have carrots, tomatoes, and green beans in my recipe for a bright and colorful mixture.
- You can try Parsnips or Chinese long beans too. As long as you allow enough time for the vegetables to soften, the Poha takes care of the rest.
- You can find Poha or flattened rice in any Indian grocery store and also on Amazon.
- You don't have to plan ahead. As long as you have some vegetables and Indian spices, you are all set.
Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 103mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 365IU | Vitamin C: 61.9mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.6mg