Quick Rava Idli - Instant Pot Rava Idli Recipe
Idli is a savory rice cake that's paired with coconut chutney, primarily in south India. My recipe is a variation from the rice version. I am using Suji or more popularly called as Rava in India.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 Cup rava (a.k.a semolina or cream of wheat)
- ½ Cup soy yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Bengal gram/ channa dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal/ split black-gram
- 10 cashews
- 1 strand curry leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 Cup water If required add more water
- ½ teaspoon baking soda or fruit salt(ENO)
Place a pan over medium heat and add oil.As it starts to heat up, add and saute mustard seeds followed by Bengal gram and urad dal and saute until they turn golden. Add cashews and saute until they are golden brown.Add asafoetida powder and curry leaves and saute for 30 sec. Add rava and saute for about 8-10 minutes which is when you will get a nice aroma.Switch off the heat and let it cool.
In a medium-sized bowl, add the following to the rava mixture: Salt, Soy yogurt, and water. Mix well and place it aside for 10 minutes.
Heat water in a steamer, or instant pot. (press saute mode and heat water.)While the water is heating, grease the idli molds with oil. Add the small amount of batter to each mold.Place the idli stand in the instant pot and close the lid. Set it to the Steam mode and in venting position and let it steam for 10 - 12 minutes.
After 12 minutes of steaming, take out the idli stand from instant pot and let it cool. Then remove the idli from the mold. Serve with chutney!
Note: The nutrition values I show here are my best estimates. Please be sure to check your preferred nutrition calculator, if you are relying on accurate calculations in your diet.
- Time on the Instant pot does not work in the venting position. So you have to monitor your timer.
- If you do not have an Instant Pot, you could still prepare these using an Idli steamer or any steam cooker. The cooking time does not change with a steam cooker (10 mins).
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 14mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1mg