Instant Pot Matar Pulao
Cilantro Peas Rice(Matar Pulao) is a very simple and flavorful dish. A few flavorful spices in a cilantro, coconut and green chili base make a powerful combination that is bursting with flavor.
Servings: 6 people
- ½ Cup soaked peas
- 2 Cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 small Cinnamon sticks or use ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Green cardamom
- ½ Cup grated coconut OR ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ Cup chopped cilantro
- 3 green chilies
- 1 garlic cloves (optional)
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Mint leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cashews (optional)
Soak peas in hot water for 2 hours or soak overnight and soak basmati rice for 10 minutes.
Wash cilantro leaves (coriander leaves) and chop them finely. Blend them with coconuts, garlic, green chilies, mint leaves, black pepper, ginger and 1 cup water to a smooth consistency and place aside.
Skip this Step if you are choosing Step 2. Blend the cilantro, mint leaves, green chilies, black pepper, ginger with ½ cup of coconut milk.
Add oil to an inner pot of Instant Pot. Press saute setting. As the oil heats up, add cinnamon, green cardamom, and bay leaf. Stir constantly for 20 sec.
Add, soaked and drained rice and peas and stir well. Add the cilantro coconut mixture and mix evenly.( I got 1 ½ cup)
Add ¾ cup of water and salt. Stir well.
Close the lid of the instant pot. Turn the steam release handle to "sealing" position. Press pressure cooking setting and set the time for 4 minutes.When time is up open the lid using 10-minute natural release.
Remove the bay leaf, and serve with your favorite side dish.
- The total liquid ratio must be 2 ¼ cups for 2 cups of rice. Add a little water to the cilantro coconut mixture to bring it to the right ratio. If you prefer a softer texture, add a little more water.
- In the end, you can add fried cashews for extra flavor.
- In the video, I showed how to make Matar pulao with grated coconut.
Calories: 315kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 81mg | Potassium: 121mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg