Bread Upma Recipe
Bread upma is an easy and quick breakfast option, for those situations when you don’t want to prepare anything too complex or when you have excess leftover bread than you can deal with.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tbsp cooking oil or vegan butter
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 green chilies chopped lenghywise
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 small tomatoes chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder use less spicy one like Kashmiri red chili powder
- 6- 8 slice whole wheat bread
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
To begin making the bread upma recipe, begin with toasting the bread. You can toast it in a toaster or on a skillet.
Once the bread is toasted, cut the bread into small squares and place them aside.
In a cast-iron skillet or a Kadai, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat and add in the mustard seeds. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle. As they crackle, add the grated ginger and green chilies. Add the chopped onions and saute the onions over medium heat until they turn soft and tender.
Once the onions are soft, add in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, and red chili powder. Stir and cook the tomatoes until they turn slightly soft.
Finally, add in the salt and the toasted bread pieces. Stir well to combine all the ingredients and continue to stir fry over medium to high heat for a couple of minutes.
The stir fry is necessary to make sure the bread pieces get all the spices and seasonings.
Stir in chopped coriander leaves into the bread upma to get even more flavor.
Bread Upma is ready!
Note: The nutrition values I show here are my best estimates. Please be sure to check your preferred nutrition calculator, if you are relying on accurate calculations in your diet.
- You can garnish the dish with roasted cashews for extra flavor and crunch.
- Adding tomato ketchup to bread upma will give a nice flavor but it is totally optional.
- If you do prefer ketchup in this recipe, then add it after adding tomatoes. (1 tbsp)
- This dish is best enjoyed warm. So be sure to serve it immediately. Bread crumbs tend to get mushy after a while.
- Always remember to toast the bread before you cube them.
- Applying a little bit of vegan butter to your toast gets you additional flavor and aroma.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 16mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg