Summer Quinoa saladÂ is gluten- free and vegan
A little bit of Quinoa with a healthy mix of summer fruits and a base of soy yogurt can bring wonders to your table or to your summer picnic. I made this when I had my friends over last weekend and it was an instant hit! Summer Quinoa Salad is what I call it because it is more of a fusion recipe. A fusion of unique ingredients like Quinoa in a traditional South Indian delicacy.
The traditional dish in India is called â€œBakalabathâ€. It is typically made with steamed rice and plain yogurt with cucumber and pomegranate. I steered away from using rice and used my next favorite grain…Quinoa. As popular as Bakalabath is in India, the Summer Quinoa Salad can be equally or more pleasing because it has a higher protein concentration than rice. Vermicelli is also another substitute for rice, but Quinoa offers the unique and healthier touch to it.
Last but definitely not the least important ingredient is Soy Yogurt. I used the homemade version that I make from plain soy milk, but it is also an increasingly common item in grocery stores nowadays. Try this recipe today and make sure you use all vegan ingredients. Together, we can make a difference in reducing our dependence on animal-based foods.
If you like this, please leave a comment here or on my Facebook page. I have posted several â€œsummerâ€ recipes in the past and have much more coming in the next few weeks. You can get them directly to your inbox by just subscribing to the newsletter. Your next party recipe will be waiting for you in your inbox 🙂
Summer Quinoa Salad | Quinoa Bakalabath Recipe
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- Â½ cup grapes
- Â½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Â½ inch ginger
- Â½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups + 4 tbsp soy yogurt
- 1 chopped green chili
- For Seasoning
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp split black gram
- 1 red chili
- 5-7 curry leaves
- Â¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook Quinoa with 2 cups boiling water for about 15-20 minutes. Remove off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Mix the ingredients one by one starting with the cooked quinoa.
- To prepare the seasoning, place a pan over medium heat and drizzle a few teaspoons of vegetable or olive oil.
- As the oil heats up, add mustard seeds, black gram and red chili.
- As they start to fry and sizzle, add curry leaves, Asafoetida and continue to saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the seasoning to the Quinoa mix and mix well.
Summer Quinoa Salad or Quinoa Bakalabath is ready!